http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: And to think he's a blood relative of my husband

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, May 02, 2005

And to think he's a blood relative of my husband

My MIL just came in and said her brother wants to come over this coming weekend to test drive our car. Since she sold her summer home we don't have a whole lot of need for a car and so after the summer is over the car will be sold to her brother. At a bargan price to boot - 3,000€. The car's a 1996 Toyota Starlet but it only has about 15,000 kilometers on it. Kilometers, not miles. A kilometer is a little over a half mile. Do the math because I sure as hell ain't.

So anyway I ask "Why does Gerald want to test drive the car? He's gonna buy it anyway because his Fiesta is a piece of crap.". My MIL agreed that he'd definitely buy the car but he needed to see if he could actually figure out how to drive it.

You see, the car has an automatic transmission. Gerald has never driven a car with an automatic transmission and so he needs to drive the Toyota to see if he can figure out how it works. Let me state that again. He needs to figure out how to drive a car with an automatic transmission.

I'll let that sink in on you a little if it hasn't already and do feel free to roll your eyes to the point of having them nearly burst forth from your skull.

5Comments:

Blogger zoe xx said...

I kind of sympathise with the Uncle. I have never driven an automatic and the thought would unnerve me - I think I would want a little practice too. I'm sure it wouldn't stop me from buying the car as I know it would be simple, but I suppose it's fear of the unknown.

Sorry hun, devil's advocate there!

PS There's a picture of a wet Jose in The Times today, which may have affected my natural biorythyms!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

Dix - picture this:

Uncle driving along then stomping the brake with that left (shift) foot. tee hee hee I guess it might take some getting used to.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

It's not getting used to. He didn't say getting used to. He said he had to figure it out. I mean he has to literally figure out how it works.

Y'all are too kind to Uncle Goofus and I am the bad, giggling neice!

Zoe, Zoe, Zoe. Haven't you figured out that Jose is bad, bad man? *snicker*

7:19 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Well, after learning in England on a manual, I shifted (ooh, bad pun!) to an automatic at the same time as starting driving in the States. It took me no time at all to adjust, and, contrary to what my British instructor had told me, I have yet to slam my left foot on the brake pedal mistaking it for the clutch.

And now I wouldn't drive anything else.

Btw, see my evening blog entry for the update on Wavy scarf. It's great fun and mostly brainless knitting. Highly recommended.

4:42 AM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

It's because he's bad that he's soooooooooooo good...

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home