http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: I have become a real German

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, May 23, 2005

I have become a real German

No, I don't have German citizenship. And while I am married to a German, I am not ethnically German. However, as of this evening I have made an important step in being "real" German.

Tonight I had my first Döner. For those of you who aren't familiar with Döner, it's a Turkish meat dish of thin, thin slices of grilled meat tucked in Turkish flat bread with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and topped with a yogurt based sauce. Looks like this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And I realize it sounds ridiculous to say that eating a Turkish dish makes me more German until one knows that Döner is the most popular fast food dish in Germany. Forget your Bratwurst. Forget your Currywurst. And definitely forget hamburgers. In Germany, Döner is king.

Despite my having a fabulous new kitchen, I skipped cooking tonight because a buddy of B's was over trying to get our wireless network to function. We decided to have supper delivered and Marco, being a real fast food addicted, computer loving German, ordered Döner.

Now normally I'd go with a Schnitzel or maybe a Currywurst but I decided that this was the moment to step outside of the limits I normally place upon myself. It was time for me to be a real German. It was time for me to eat a Döner.

Why did I wait so long? Why haven't I been partaking in this messy but delicious dish before now? Why haven't I been savoring the shavings of spiced meat and crispy lettuce and savory sauce before now? Why have I been denying my mouth this delightful orgy of flavor?

And yes, I made the food pleasure moaning sounds when I chewed. It couldn't be avoided.

7Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know its turkish so its not a Gyro- you taught me that quickly!- it looks good!! Welcome to the world of Doners....still looks like a Gyro to me!

How spicey is it? What is the bread like?

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it- that should have posted that I wrote it!

I proclaimed the Doner and Gyro to be indistinguishable from each other!

Mollie

11:12 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh jeez. Don't go into a Döner joint and order a Gyro. Those Turks will freak on you. And they slice that meat with some long ass knives.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moll, I was thinking it looked a heck of a lot like a gyro, too! But I love gyros, so doners must be yummy, too!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Dix, don't hog all the Doners, dangit. Pass some my way, sounds DELISH!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

In England, we'd call that a Donner Kebab, or just a "kebab". And they're a late night, after-pub student staple. And indeed, a wonderful mixture of flavours, grease, textures... just delicious.

3:08 PM  
Blogger BranV said...

There I'll say it proud: It's a Gyro...a GYRO I SAY!! Go ahead, bring on your big knives, I've got big BBQ tongs that can thwart your every Turkish move and as all southern children from the age of corporal punishment knows, I can do some mighty damage with my big wood spoon too!

On a side note, God that looks good...

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home