http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: No Knitty, Just Dotty

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

No Knitty, Just Dotty

Another week has gone by with no discernible progress in my knitting. Frankly, I'm sick of the sock I'm working on and reading has been taking up a lot of my time as well. So today you're excused from more yarn talk for another week. Well. Sort of anyway.

~ Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch is a book sock knitting friends of mine have for a long time encouraged me to finally buy. I pooh-poohed it somewhat - there are tons of sock patterns online for free and I can be a cheap ass when it comes to buying knitting books but when I had a Amazon.com gift certificate to blow I bought it and it arrived today.

Holy smokes people - if you knit socks and don't have this book, you're not getting the most out of your sock knitting. It's billed as the only sock knitting book you'll ever need and I'd say it lives up to that. It's set up so that all you need to do is, pick a pattern, pick a yarn, pick the needles you want to use, have your leg measurements, know your gauge and you can knit dozens of different socks without the agony of worrying over whether a pattern is going to fit someone properly. It gives some styles based upon certain types of stitch patterns and then cleverly adds a stitch dictionary so that you can substitute different patterns with ease. Just when I was feeling a bit burned out on socks, this book arrives and rejuvenates it.

Since it was one of those "buy this book and get this other book too for this amount" deals, I bought the second book, More Sensational Knitted Socks, at the same time. For anyone interested in getting it for themselves the difference in the first and second books seems to mostly be the patterns offered...and the patterns offered are pretty gorgeous. The instructional part goes over the basics just as it does in the first book, the tables are basically the same and then there are some more techniques introduced like different cast ons for top down socks and bind offs for toe up socks. There's also another stitch dictionary provided. I'd say it's worth buying this second book.

I must stay strong. I must not cast on for new socks until I finish what I'm working on now.

You can peek again! Yarn talk is over!

~ It's tempting to say "Holy shit, it's hot here!" but it's not particularly hot. What it is is humid. The sort of humid where even the slightest amount of exertion turns me into a sweaty mess. I have spent the entire day with most of my hair soaking wet. When I was in high school I worked in a dry cleaners and laundry and I don't remember sweating that much there, even in the middle of the summer. It's the sort of humidity where you can't bear for any part of your skin to touch any other part of your skin and should you have a puff of a breeze touch you, you nearly weep with joy. It's humidity you could surf on.

~ I'm going to blame this next part on the humidity and its ability to make me stupid. I went today to the immigration office to get my residency visa transferred from my old, expired passport to my brand spanking new passport. The residency visa has my photo on it. Did I think to bring a new photo with me? Of course not! That would have made this trip entirely too efficient and my time well spent. I got two photos when I renewed my passport so I have a biometric photo already that I can use - my only problem now is finding where I have it stashed. At least I made an appointment for my return visit to speed things up when I go back so there won't be any waiting in line. And I'd like to take this opportunity to compliment the ladies working at the immigration office. Nice, nice, nice and extremely patient. Friendly as all get out. I thought my MIL (who I like to take with me when I go do important things just in case there's one word I don't really understand) was going to invite them over for coffee and cake 'cause they were just so danged friendly! They may be a little dick-heady at the Bürgerbüro (for those of you not in Germany, that's a bureau that takes care of citizen matters - you get your national ID there, get a passport, register your residency, etc.) but by golly the ladies at the immigration office are top drawer!

~ I bought gasoline about 10 days ago. I don't drive a whole lot and my Toyota Econobox Starlet isn't exactly a gas hog so I fill it up usually every 7 or 8 weeks. Yay for good public transportation and living right in the middle of the main shopping district! Anyway, when I filled up I paid 1.36 € per liter for super unleaded. We'll not go into why I'm putting super unleaded in an 11 year old Starlet. I'm not even sure I have a good reason why. At the time I nearly fell out when I saw what I was paying for a liter of gasoline. The time before that when I filled it I paid something like 1.23 € per liter. I was a little mad with myself that I'd evidently picked a bad time to buy gas but I had to have it. Today I saw that super unleaded gas is going for 1.45 € per liter. Converted to American dollars that's about $1.95 per liter. Nearly $8 a gallon, folks and it's only going to get worse. Until people start getting serious about using less gasoline it's going to get worse. If not bringing a photo to the immigration office made me feel dopey, buying gas before the price spiked makes me feel like a genius. Or at least at the right place at the right time.

~ Mmmmm....coconut and chocolate ice cream. It doesn't cure sweated out hair but you care less about it.

Labels: ,

9Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

We buy our gas in pesos/liter and it seems to work out to $2.60-$2.80 per gallon these days. And it seems pretty steady compared to the US of A. Nice that the immigration women were so pleasant.
Oh, and it's pretty hard to imagine knitting when the humidity is so high. Soggy yarn?

2:43 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Gas is $3.39 a gal. here in California.

I took a chance that less people will hit the road this weekend and schedualed a yard sale.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep! I spent $50 big, fat American dollars filling up my car this morning which increases my monthly gas consumption budget to $200/month. That absolutely KILLS me.

It's humid here, too. But I'm so used to it now, if I stray out of the range of humid air, I suddenly prune up and have to suck down large(R!) quantities of water and smear my lips with Carmex every five minutes. But yeah, my hair is pretty much always sweaty, too.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding "Sensational Knitted Socks": told ya so! I've currently got three pairs of socks on needles, all of them from the first section (Baby Cables, Openwork Rib, and Purled Ladder).

I always feel like such a champ when I manage to buy gas right before it jumps. Another reason I'm looking forward to the move: stuff within walking distance, and actual sidewalks to get there!

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I test drove a Prius last night and really liked it! Now,you won't be able to pry my Liberty out of dead cold hands, but I would not mind expanding my vehicle family and give Amy (my Jeep) a 6 day a week reprieve. I would like to put more miles into a more standard car (told the salesman I had enough bells and whistles on my car)- and ease my emissions output considerably since I am so over the top with my mileage.
I think I scared- or maybe it was scarred- the Toyota man last night because he started to bad mouth American cars and I told him he could say whatever he wanted but that it did not apply to that gorgeous truck sitting right out side. He concurred and said my Jeep was lovely. Say it! Say it!

The gas is aching for me too- 3.10 here in DC- which, I can see I should shut my trap about because 8.00 a gallon would strap me completely!!!! 124.00 for a complete fill up- I would faint!


Mollie

3:33 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mollie, you know how I dig the Prius. Missy adores hers. I'm looking forward to getting back home and driving hers.

9:55 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh the humidity! My nemesis. I had an appointment in the next town yesterday and since it was such a nice day I decided to walk, 30 minutes door to door. It didn't seem that warm at first, but I was wearing a blouse, jeans, socks and walking shoes and by the time I got there I was completely drenched. Argghh. I think they called the low pressure system that created this weather Sauna-Klaus or something.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I feel a bit bad that I picked a house so far from my husband's work. In fact we are pretty far from everything. Drive, drive, drive, everyday I drive.

On the other had, I found a house in a nice neigborhood, with good schools, that I can afford. I just don't know what the answer is. I do feel bad that my selfish choice is polluting the air for everyone, just not bad enough to have bought a different house.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

I'm very familiar with the type of humidity you describe. Miami gets about 6 months worth of that, maybe more. I describe it as *chewable air*.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home