http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Hot 'n Dotty

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hot 'n Dotty

Lots of goings on, lots of dots. Let's get at it.

  • B called Kirsten yesterday. I'm glad he called her then instead of on Tuesday when I had wanted him to. On Tuesday the news would have been that Kirsten's daughter picked her up from therapy and Kirsten collapsed in the car and Freya had to drive her to the hospital to be revived. As it is the news we got yesterday was a bit more encouraging. Kirsten saw another doctor Wednesday morning and he told her that she was very close to be hospitalized and it wouldn't be here in the city - he'd send her to a clinic in Bavaria that specializes in eating disorders. Now that in itself didn't worry Kirsten in the way the next part did. The doctor told her then that if she didn't start to eat immediately, he was sending her to the clinic where he'd have her put on a feeding tube and that the experience would be terrible for her. She didn't say if it would be done surgically directly into her stomach or would be through a tube in her nose but it scared her badly. Maybe he was exaggerating regarding how bad it is to get a feeding tube but who cares? The result was that Kirsten is more terrified of the feeding tube than she is disgusted over food. Her eating disorder has changed from her becoming sick when she eats to her just not being able to swallow food. Food - all food - disgusts her and when she puts it in her mouth she can't swallow it. It's not a matter of her thinking she's too fat in the way most anorexics think - she knows she's too thin - but her mental problems make food seem gross to her. But the idea of a feeding tube grossed her out even more so she went home and at the time we called her Kirsten had eaten a few spoonfuls of vegetables and was about to eat a peach. For supper she was going to eat a tomato. Doesn't sound like much but she's eating something and for that we're grateful. The doctor gave her a list of what she should be eating right now and when and if she sticks to it and gains some weight then she can avoid the feeding tube. We'll be grateful for any improvement. B told Kirsten he wanted her to come over and she said she didn't want to right now - she's too embarrassed for B to see her. That just broke my heart to hear that. I want so much for her to get better and to start loving herself again.
  • For shit's sake, stop with the humid ass weather. I'm sick of being bathed in a constant sheen of sweat. There's not enough fresh blueberries, watermelon and ice cream in the world to make up for being in a constant state of sweatiness.
  • And what's the worst part of being Champion Head Sweater of the World? This: It's back again. It's not quite to the giant, nearly purple, ready to burst stage but we're definitely at the getting swollen and hurts like a son-of-a-gun stage. Ready to burst should be in a few more days. Ugh.
  • However there was one advantage to the neck funk - it got me out of the hair dyeing appointment with Tina. There was no way I was going to let anyone put stuff on my hair that would potentially touch my neck. I have enough problems - I don't need hair dye turning my neck funk into a raging volcano put on top of it all. I called her this morning to beg off our appointment and told her we'd reschedule when I was all healed up again. In the meantime I'm going to come up with a way to get out of it completely. Hmmm...maybe...let's see...tell her I don't want to do it! Now there's a novel idea!
  • Enough of gross neck funk talk. Let's see something pretty! It's the sock I'm knitting for Mollie!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I will not be surprised to find out that Gross Neck Funk wants me to knit him socks.

Labels: , ,

12Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dix,

Love the socks! And I am so glad that your friend was able to eat some food.

Hope the neck thingie gets better soon!

Tiff

11:49 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I hope Kirsten can keep it up and stay out of the hospital...and that your funk gets fixed soon! Aye!

Love the sock, by the way. Quite nice!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Kirsten is in my prayers.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm glad to hear that Kirsten is eating something. Even if it doesn't sound like a lot, it's probably a lot for her. It broke my heart when you said she said she didn't want to come over because she was too embarrassed for B to see her.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Twango said...

Keeping Kirsten and you all in my prayers. Thank goodness the doc was able to get through to her in a way that is working for her.

4:09 AM  
Blogger hexe said...

Hope your friend manages to continue eating even in small amounts. We are still waiting for cool weather here too - I'm betting you'll have some before we do :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I too am keeping Kirsten in my prayers. But, Dixie those socks, how in the world is that even possible. I don't know beans about knitting but that is amazing.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For shit's sake, stop with the humid ass weather."

Oh! That was good. That made me just explode with a "HA!!!" It's exactly the same here. It's only June and already it's miserably freakin' hot and everyone is complaining everyday.

Way too much of the old, "Is it hot enough out there for ya?" I don't find that a humorous or useful exchange. I immediately regard any person who says that as having feeble imagination and wit. Either that or they're simply pitiful at making small talk.

Yes, it's hot enough. In fact, way too hot. In fact, it'd be okay with me if it were simply warm. Pleasantly and gently warm. Warm enough to wear summer clothes without being cold but not so warm that merely standing out of doors causes torrential sweating.

I suppose it is thoughtless of me to bitch about it, though, as I live in the land of super, mega air-conditioning and if one is INSIDE all day... one could get a bit chilled. 2 seconds in a car that's been sitting outside will fix that quick, though.

I'm glad you waited to post about Kirsten until after you had the better news because it was almost very upsetting. It's still kind of upsetting but it is a little bit of good news that she's eating something.

Bless her heart... she must really be miserable to have gotten to this point and I'm so sorry her husband isn't supportive. I hope she continues to do well with your encouragement and all the prayers and energy we're sending her way.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

as a failed/cured anorexic i can say the size of my body and my perception of the size of my body had next to nothing to do with my former reluctance to eat. it was all control for me. power. self control. which has next to nothing to do with anything, but sending hopeful vibes your way.

a hopeful :-) and an understanding xox

11:06 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

(((((Kirsten)))))

Love the socks, btw. :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Thanks for the good thoughts for my neck and especially for Kirsten. I really appreciate it. And Jemima, thank you for giving me more insight regarding what Kirsten may be going through. The more I can understand this the better.

12:44 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I'm sweatin' right along with ya! Being a fellow head-sweater I despise this humid weather SO much. Straggly wet hair is not a good look on me. And good luck with the Giant Purple S'More. I can't believe it's coming back to haunt you.

Sounds like Kerstin may have had a small breakthrough - I hope she can continue on and get her health back, as difficult as that may be.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home