http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Another Sleepy, Dusty Delta Day

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Another Sleepy, Dusty Delta Day

I'm not in the Mississippi Delta but I can pretty well guarantee as a Mississippian that if it's the third of June, it's probably sleepy and dusty there.

And even though I'm not in the Delta it's pretty dusty here as well. And sleepy. Sleepy because it's so damn hot here that I have to sleep with the windows open or else melt into a puddle of goo (Today's trivia: My husband hates the word "goo".) and that means being awakened before dawn by the loudest songbirds in creation and every jackass who thinks that it's still okay to drive by apartment buildings and honk his car horn at 4:30am, not to mention the all the delivery trucks unloading to the stores that sit in front of my building. I'm guessing that me screaming down from my open window "Shut the hell up - I'm sleeping!!" will not work on any of my little noisemakers.

So anyway it's been hot here - my thermometer told me it was 91°F on my balcony this afternoon - and that's been keeping me off the computer. It's simply too hot to use it. My wrists get all hot and hot wrists on a hot day make for one cranky peach. I should go down to the basement and get my fan out of the storage area but, frankly, the basement freaks me out a little and I don't like to go down there alone. It's clean and I've never seen a spider or mouse or anything else creepy down there but it's like a maze of hallways and I'm always half afraid that when I turn a corner I'm going to see some grisly image, a la the chopped up twins in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Therefore, instead of seeking out some relief from sweating, I've been spending my days remaining in the shade as much as possible, drinking copious amounts of water (Note to German readers: hohes C Naturelle in the Apfel-Zitrone flavor is so tasty and refreshing and at 23 calories per 100ml, you'll be as big as a house if you drink a lot of it all summer), and getting caught up on my knitting. I finished these bad boys over the weekend:

Photobucket


and started these as well, after spending about two hours picking apart the tangles I managed to get in the hank winding the yarn into two as-near-as-possible equal-sized balls.

Photobucket


Knitting pattern and particulars in case an actual knitter comes by to read (the rest of you may skip on to the next section):

First pair -
Pattern: Scrolls by Charlene Schurch from the book More Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Schachenmayr nomotta Bambino

Second pair -
Pattern: Froot Loop by Kristi Geraci
Yarn: Dyeabolical Yarns Alter Ego Merino Sock Yarn (fab yarn...and it was a gift from Robin!)

Else things have been rather run-of-the-mill around here. My cell phone (who I have now named Babette) got better. I got in touch with Amazon.de, where I bought the phone, to say that the battery won't stay charged for more than about twenty hours and they emailed me back to get some information from me and I'm waiting to hear back if they want me to send the phone back to them or if they're just going to send me a battery. Evidently though the idea of leaving me scared the hell out of Babette and after giving her one last chance to hold a charge she's been working like a champ. I'm about thirty-six hours into a charge and she's still about 3/4 full. Now I'm afraid that Amazon is going to tell me to send back my phone for repair and I'm going to have to say "Oh...well...she got better.". And then I'm going to have to explain why I refer to her as a her.

I got a very amusing card from my younger niece to thank me for the present I sent her for her sixteenth birthday and when I told my brother that she sent me a card (purposely done to let him know his daughter does have some manners) and to say how much I adore her he told me that out of all the people in the world, she reminds him most of me. I take that as a compliment because my niece is not only smart and sweet but is really adorable but then I stop myself. I personally think I'm turning into my mother and I want to say to my niece "You know how you act like me? I'm starting to act like Granny. Save yourself while you can.".

Time for another glass of water.

Labels: , ,

4Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your title reminds me of a Jeannie C. Riley song- I think that's who sang it. Can't remember the name of the song, though!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

"It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day" is the opening line of Ode to Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry. :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

So... knitting big, woolly socks doesn't make you hot? The socks are way cute, but they made me hot just looking at them. Our heat index here in south Texas is well up over 100, btw. My feet are nekkid as much as possible!

1:25 AM  
Blogger sari said...

The socks are beautiful!

I think it's perfect your phone is named Babette. I don't know why I don't name things, I may have to start.

Well, that's not true, we did name our pool cleaner. But my husband named him, not me. So that might not count.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home