http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Landing on my feet

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Landing on my feet

2005 started out pretty well for us. B and I tend to be pretty comfortable and content with our lives and we thought this year would be much of the same. And it was until Easter came and with it the most horrible excuse for humans moving into the apartment above us. Even having my kitchen remodeled and having it turn out exactly right couldn't make up for the anti-social dogshit living above us and not even the idea of breaking up my beautiful new kitchen could keep us from moving to get away from them. There's not a kitchen in the world that would tempt me into remaining there and so we moved.

And I'll admit that I was a little bitter about it. I thought it grossly unfair that my husband would have to be forced from his home of twenty years because of that family. And even though I would take my new kitchen with me, it would be modifed into a shadow of its former self and it irked me.

Still though, while it's unseemly to brag, I think we've done pretty well. I managed to sort through and pack up our belongings, mostly by myself, while still caring for a quadriplegic. We managed to find a much better, if smaller, apartment in a much better neighborhood. Our new home is quiet and clean and convenient. We don't sit every evening cringing and just waiting for the ruckus to start. We don't have to dread confrontations in the hallways. And most importantly we don't have our sleep interrupted by someone taking a crap in the middle of the night and during it screaming so loudly that it can be heard on the street and in apartments seven floors away. No longer do we have our intelligence insulted when we're told that they have special rights because this particular neighbor is handicapped and somehow my husband's total paralysis doesn't seem to carry much weight against that.

Should I be grateful to these people that their horrible behavior ended up having us living in a better home than before? Not a chance. I still wouldn't spit on that bastard if I found him on fire. What I'm grateful for is the ability B and I have to make the best of things when we're given shitty circumstances.

I'm considering begging the family that lives above us in our new building to never, ever move.

3Comments:

Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

And on that note, cheers to you and a very very Happy New Year!

3:53 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Hope 2006 is better for you. Having shitty neigbours is never good.

Happy New Year :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Wow - well you were certainly right to get out of that situation as fast as you could - way too stressful. As they say, location is everything and you sound pretty happy in your new home.

Hope you and B (my husband is also a B - wonder if they share the same name?) have a very peaceful 2006 and beyond!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home