http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Uhhh....no

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Uhhh....no

During a conversation with my mother:

Her: I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was some man on there talking about...you know...that Europe thing?

Me: The European Union?

Her: That's it. That they wanted to get together to try to annihilate Israel.

Me: What?

H: Something like that. That they wanted to annihilate Israel.

M: That doesn't make sense. Why would the European Union want to do that?

H: I don't know. It's just what he said. That they wanted to get together with Iran. I just wanted to know if you've heard that there.

M: No, Mama. That's not right.

H: Are you sure?

M: Mama, the European Union has no interest in annihilating Israel. I can't speak for Iran. They're not in the European Union.

H: Do they want to be?

Me: Well, they're going to have to get over the hurdle of their human rights record. And, you know, have the country actually be in Europe.

There's something wrong when you're not sure if the goofy-ass conversation you've had with your mother is due to the fact that she has Alzheimer's disease or because she's been listening to conservative talk radio again and both reasons seem equally plausible.

10Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you manage to refrain from cracking up?

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post... I just keep coming back and reading again and getting all cracked up over the idea of "annihilating Israel."

I'm with you, Dix... I can't even imagine what she heard that might've made her think the EU wanted to annihilate Israel. A Christmas carol gone awry?

5:44 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I agree it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between conservative talk shows and Alzheimer's disease.

Happy New Year.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

oh she might have some info on the down low, you never know...poor thing.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I forgot to say that I use to have quite odd conversations with my mom right after my accident: me on morphine and she on strong pain medicine at the end of her bout with Cancer.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

That's definitely..er..odd. I don't even remember hearing anything about the EU commenting on Israel in the news recently either.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those comments are pretty much what English people have been led to believe all Americans think like. Our press is prejudiced and conservative in its way.

Thank the stars for the internet to convince us otherwise!

Dixie, I've been wanting to ask for a while, how do you feel about apricots? As good as peaches? Inferior? Interchangeable or not in the same ball park? (I had a major apricot thing when I was 14, though I'm mostly over it now.)

JvS

4:44 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I've been thinking about this since the conversation and I came to the conclusion that she heard someone comment on the president of Iran's comments from about a month ago where he said that Israel should be annihilated and then later on said that Israel should be moved to Europe. Perhaps she heard someone on the radio talk about that and she got it twisted around in her mind ('cause Alzheimer's does that to you) or maybe some jackass on the radio actually did say that the EU was going to team up with Iran. Bless her heart, Alzheimer's does get her mixed up.

Oh...and apricots. Like them but prefer them dried - yummy snack. Not a substitute for peaches though. Nectarines come the closest for being a peach substitute for me.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, she really does have Alzheimers?!?! I feel terrible... I thought you meant that figuratively. My mom is terribly forgetful and we all tease her sometimes.

I'm sorry. I wasn't making fun, I was just amused at her comments.

2:31 AM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

BWAHAHAHA! Tell Ms. Virginia to back away from Fox News slowly. Gotta love her.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home