http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Knit wit

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Knit wit

Well after a rather undramatic weekend I am well into an undramatic week. I should be grateful for the lack of drama around here since I don't do so well with drama around here.

Please people, pray for my knitting. I can knit but unfortunately I don't know how to fix any errors I make. I try to . I look at my knitting books and view their poorly drawn illustrations like a cow looks at a new door. I read the descriptions of how to retrieve a dropped stitch or fix some gunked up stitch and it makes about as much sense to me as the Unabomber manifesto. So how do I solve my inevitable knitting fuck-ups?

I unravel the SOB. Not too bad when the fuck-up is on row number 17 but when it's on row number 82 I want to kick my feet and sob like a slapped child.

I'm knitting a scarf for a dear friend of mine. And it's going to be a really lovely scarf when I'm done except for one little thing. I've started the friggin' thing thirteen times now and I can't get but so far without screwing something up. I'm now so desperate to finish this scarf that I'm knitting at about the same pace that old people screw.

I didn't want to do it but I'm now going to admit defeat and decide that after I finish this scarf - which should be about the time that cold front whips though hell - I'm going to learn to knit continental style. Throw away all I know about English knitting and learn the way most Germans and, more importantly, they way my MIL knows how to knit. That way she can teach me how to fix errors - much easier than trying to decipher drawings that look like the were first discovered on the walls of a cave in France - and if I can't fix them myself, she can do it for me.

On to other things...

It's March. Stop snowing. I'm sick to death of walking on slippery streets and through icy parking lots. I have a fear of falling as it is and I don't particularly like walking like I'm made of glass. Just. stop. snowing. And get warmer than fifteen degrees while you're at it because if you don't get above freezing that icy-ass shit on the streets will never melt.

No progress on buying a new kitchen. For starters I'm avoiding beginning the process and add to that that it snows every day and I can't drive to the kitchen store on snowy streets. The car has summer tires on it since we just don't tend to drive when it's snowing and even if it did have snow tires, my MIL would still not get into the car. She simply feels that since she's never driven in snow that it means that I also have never driven in snow and any attempt to do so will cause the earth to tip off its axis or something.

Hey. I drove a Jeep Wrangler. And worked for a power company. Suffice it to say that I've driven in the snow a plenty of time out of necessity and most of the time with yellowed, hazy windows hindering my visibility.

Okay. Back to my knitting now. I mean I just can't get to sleep tonight unless I've ripped out the stitches yet one more time.

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting how long it takes to learn from our mistakes, even in knitting. It just takes time, practice and a whole lot of patience.

You have sort of stirred my interest in knitting, again. I swore it off the last time I tried to learn.

Hmmm should I give it another whirl?

5:25 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Why not? You might find it a lot of fun this time around.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dix, you make me laugh even when I'm not in the mood. This - "I look at my knitting books and view their poorly drawn illustrations like a cow looks at a new door." - made me laugh loud enough to get the kittens to come see what I was doing!

I tried to teach myself knitting once. It takes to long to accomplish anything and I am definitely an instant gratification kind of crafter.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home