http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Crumbs, stray hairs, and gritty bits

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Crumbs, stray hairs, and gritty bits

What you get if you ran a Swiffer Duster around my brain.

1. We desperately need some sunshine around here. It's not just overcast here - it's like living in nuclear winter. On the streetcar today it was like everyone was heading towards a funeral.

Come to think of it, a lot of people did get off at the stop in front of the cemetary...

2. I am not a great knitter. I'm not bad, but I know my limits and I strive to improve. Still I was lazy about learning how to fix errors with confidence (other than frogging my work) because all I had to do was carry my screwed up knitting six floors up to my MIL, my knitting superhero in sensible shoes, and have her straighten it out.

Now if I want knitting fixed I'd have to set out across the market square to get to her apartment and I'm not going to do that. It's nuclear winter out there! So when I dropped a stitch while unknitting a few stitches I squared my shoulders and became determined to fix it without creating a ladder of them. And I did it. Twice.

I can see me letting this go to my head.

3. This is the reason I would up and move to Beverly Hills. Assuming I could afford to live in Beverly Hills and spend $3.25 on a cupcake, that is.

4. I know I constantly crow about how much I love living downtown but dammit all, I do. It's that feeling of "Where everybody knows your name" that I'm digging. Instead of "more people, less businesses" like in my old neighborhood, here it's "less people, more businesses" so if you live in the neighborhood and frequent a place you'll stand out. The ladies at the bakery know me and start to bag my regular daily order as soon as I open the door. The dude at the shoe repair place (I suppose his title would technically be "shoe repair dude") steps out to say hello and pet my dog when I walk by. The folks at the Asia Bistro know me by name (and falling on my face in front of their restaurant may have had a hand in that) and the people at the restaurant across the street from my apartment deliver food to me even though they don't normally make deliveries - only because I've been able to charm them when I've been in there with my MIL. When I moved to Germany I came from a city of less than 14,000 people to a city of 230,000 people and I'm still able to recapture that small town feeling because people here have bothered to remember me. Of course the fact that I speak German with an American Southern accent may have had a hand in getting me known.

4Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

Cool! I think this was such a good move. And I am still waiting on pics of the new kitchen!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

The sunshine (and warmth) should be here about April time :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Woo-hoo for fixing dropped stitches! And yes, it can become addictive, when you see what one little crochet hook can do. Congrats. You're now well on your way to becoming a completely addicted knitter. :)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Sure you have that Southern American accent while speaking German, but have you ever thought that maybe it's just your charming personality that people remember? hmmmmm?

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home