http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: My Trip Home - I Forget Which Day We're On

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Trip Home - I Forget Which Day We're On

This post is part of an ongoing tale of my trip back home to Mississippi to visit my family. To start the story at the beginning, begin reading from October 30, 2007.

By now my vacation days were flying by. It felt like I'd just landed in Memphis and now I was beginning my final week there.

After the Peach Pilgrims left on Sunday afternoon I spent a good chunk of the afternoon playing with Sam with his Nintendo Wii. I had to keep reminding myself to say "Nintendo Wii" because I afraid that if I kept saying "Sam, let's go play with your Wii." both of us were going to eventually need therapy. By the end of the afternoon I was so addicted to Wii Bowling that I was tempted to go to a real bowling alley until I remembered the reason I don't bowl is because I have a fear of ripping off my thumbnail.

Later that evening we went out for Mexican food and then sat out in the yard. Sister has a terracotta fire bowl and before we left for supper my BIL started a fire for us and it was just right by the time we got back home. The air was just cool enough for the fire to be pleasant and Sister and I talked and talked and talked. Later on Sam joined us and I had the best time making him laugh.

The weather was great up until this point but come Monday of my last week there the rain moved in and stayed for days. On Tuesday Sister and I loaded up Mama and we drove up in the west Tennessee hills where Mama's youngest sister lives for a visit. I hadn't see my aunt in over a dozen years and it was like seeing my mother a dozen years younger. One of my cousins, who I hadn't seen since she was just out of high school, was there as well along with her teenage son. I don't know why seeing her have a teenage son made me feel older but it did. I suppose it would have been worse had one of our mutual cousins been there - she's got a year old granddaughter and this cousin is a year younger than me.

Wednesday passed uneventful. The whole week I was always busy doing something - visiting with folks or shopping or the like - but the most interesting thing that day was I finally bought the Wii game Sam wanted me to get him for Christmas. It's official. I am his favorite aunt. Not that I had any doubt.

By Thursday the rain had slacked off quite a bit and Sister and I went out for lunch that day to Borroum's Drug Store - Mississippi's oldest drug store in continuous operation. On Thursday's the lunch special is cornbread salad and while you can get cornbread salad at other restaurants in town, they're the best at Borroum's. For those of you wondering what's in a cornbread salad, it starts, of course, with cornbread crumbled in the bottom of a bowl. Spicy pinto beans are layered on top and then regular green salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, etc. Ranch dressing goes on top of that, then more salad, more dressing and then it's crowned with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeño pepper. What's great about the cornbread salad at Borroum's is the lady who makes them cooks her own pinto beans so they're spiced just right and she makes her own secret recipe ranch dressing that's way better than any other dressing I've ever eaten. With a glass of iced tea it's a perfect lunch.

I love going out to lunch. Going out to lunch is one of my very favorite things to do. To me it's way better than going out to dinner. And the very best thing is going out to lunch with someone I adore being with and there are very few people I adore being with more than my sister. Out to lunch with my sister in one of my favorite spots in town. Bliss.

Tomorrow: The last day before I leave for Germany. Tupelo twice, a pizza party, Soulja Boy, and more pomegranate margaritas.

Labels: ,

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home