http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Shelf Life

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shelf Life

The fourth season of Lost begins on January 31st and that means after that date I will have to avoid any mention of that show anywhere on the Internet. I can't take the chance of hearing any spoilers at all. What makes it worse is that I have no idea when the fourth season will begin in Germany. Last year they showed the third season beginning, I believe, in late spring and since the fourth season is getting a late start in the US it could be delayed here for even longer.

The online group of knitting Losties that I frequent? Avoid. News stories about Lost and even stories about cast members? Avoid. Any other online discussion group in general that even features the word "lost" in a thread title? Avoid because maybe the writer just doesn't like capital letters. I even need to be careful when reading blogs because by accident I've found spoilers that the author didn't even know would be a spoiler to anyone. Not to pick on her because it in no way was her fault - she couldn't have known - but on Katya's blog she once mentioned something that happened in the third season of Battlestar Galactica and I freaked because we hadn't, as of then, gotten the third season in Germany. In fact we're just getting the third season now and Katya made her accidental spoiler over a year ago so that bring up a question:

For how long could a plot detail in a movie or TV show or book be considered a spoiler?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has been out in English for about six months. If I were discussion things like who dies in the book, I'd put out a spoiler warning but it's been nearly five years since Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was published. Do I need to still keep mum about who dies in that book? I haven't been able yet to see all of season seven of Gilmore Girls - should I still keep hollering that I need spoiler warnings for a show that's no longer in production? Since it's been over fifteen years since The Crying Game was released do I have to still keep mum that Stephen Rea got the shock of his life when he found out his girlfriend was sporting a penis?

Oops. Hope you didn't want to see that movie anytime soon.

If it's any comfort to anyone who accidentally read a spoiler they shouldn't have, it's likely that if it wasn't a big, big thing (I'd consider anything in Harry Potter VII to be a big, big thing) and if you let enough time pass, the spoiler shouldn't do any lasting damage. By the time I began to watch the third season of Battlestar Galactica I'd completely forgotten what was supposedly spoiled for me.

Labels:

4Comments:

Blogger sari said...

Did you know that Darth Vader was Luke's FATHER???

Ohmygosh, I know.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Kristen Shepard did it...

Name that spoiler!

:)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I believe you absolutely need to go to ABC.com and watch Lost with us and then discuss it with us. I believe you will need to use a proxy because international ip addresses are blocked. But, watch it on the computer and then come and discuss it with all your friends. I think you will enjoy it more if you can be upset with the rest of us. Lost always upsets me. Or use a torrent. I know it is evil but I am addicted to my torrents. Come on over to the dark side Dixie.

2:48 PM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Torrents are good but if you are living where I'm living, it takes 7 hours to download one episode. My instant gratification affliction won't allow for that.

We are also waiting on LOST SEASON IV in these parts. Usually by the time the first four to five episodes have aired, we get them on "DVD" here. It gets kind of hairy around this house when they release two DVDs with 8 episodes on them. We do not get much accomplished in the way of cleaning or conversation. We are pathetic.

What has also happened to us (husband and self) is that we view the folks who have to wait an entire WEEK to see the following episode as, well, chumps. We are becoming snobbish in our pirated video ways.

This happened to us with Prison Break during the last few weeks. We watched approx 30 episodes in four days. Can we say, 'bug-eyed?'

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home