http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - All German Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Friday Shuffle - All German Edition

To celebrate the end of the Bundesliga winter break. And to celebrate Bayern-München kicking Mönchengladbach's butt in their own stadium.
  1. Am Fenster - City
  2. Jesus - Marius Müller-Westernhagen
  3. Alt wie ein Baum - Puhdys
  4. Über sieben Brücke - Peter Maffay
  5. Leb den Tag - Laith Al-Deen
  6. Alkohol - Herbert Grönemeyer
  7. Geh zu ihr - Puhdys
  8. Sterne - Juli
  9. Wenn du schläfst - Söhne Mannheims
  10. Mensch - Herbert Grönemeyer
Let me guess. You English only speakers can figure out only "Jesus" and "Alkohol", right? Some things are truly international.

The winter Olympics are starting soon and it puts me in that weird position I find myself in when I'm watching international sporting events. Most of me wants to cheer for the United States but there's a fair portion of me that wants to cheer for Germany. I feel a bit like a traitor for not being fully behind my mother country but there are some events where Germans tend to perform better than the USA so I tend to lend my support to Germany. While I'd like to get behind Team USA, when it comes to events like biathlon or luge or bobsled, forget it. Still both countries perform well in both summer and winter Olympics and I go ahead and take pride in both coutries. It feels pretty win-win to me.

International soccer is worse. World Cup time rolls around that that's when I really begin to feel disloyal. I want to get fully behind the US. I really do. I watch every one of the games they play and I yell as loudly as I can when they score and when they win and feel bitter disappointment when they lose with one exception.

I confess that when the US plays Germany, I hope the US loses. There. I said it. I suppose I should just turn in my passport now because it's true.

It's not that I don't love my homeland. It's not because I don't think the US has a good soccer team. It's not that I don't think the US deserves to win. Well - that's not exactly true. Maybe they deserve to win but let's be honest - winning soccer matches just isn't important to most Americans. Most Americans don't know dick about soccer, couldn't care less, don't know what the World Cup is, couldn't name any top national teams and don't know the names of their own national team's players. The opposite is true in Germany. Even if you're not normally a regular fan of the sport you can't help but get a little interested when it's time for the European championship or the World Cup and even my MIL knows who Oliver Kahn is. It's the most important sport in Germany and it is truly a big deal if Germany does well or not. Bottom line, it's just more important that Germany wins any match over the USA simply because it means more to the people of Germany than it means to the people of the US.

So my fellow Americans, please don't hate me when I secretly hope that the US doesn't make it out of the opening round of the World Cup. Y'all don't really give a rat's ass about it anyway and it keeps me from having to endure the painful possibility of the US and Germany meeting up in a later match.

Homeland Security's gonna stop me at the border about this, aren't they?

9Comments:

Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

The United States has a soccer team? Isn't that the same as football? Or is soccer actually football everywhere but here? What? How do you spell that?

I prefer to just root for the winning team.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Oh and meant to ask you why would Homeland Security stop you at the border, they don't seem to be stopping anyone else...

I'm sorry, I just had to poke fun.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Ohhh no. They stopped Cat Stevens, remember? You know him and that subversive Peace Train song and all...

11:48 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

They claimed some of his money went to support some terrorist organization or other -- I think.

I like soccer but I never get to see it -- I'm looking forward to the Winter Olympics though because of my new favorite sport -- snowboarding. I'd never do it but I love to watch it.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

Holy,holly crap girl!!! Do you know what you have done? Yup, just mail in your passport now, 'cuz if they gotta come looking for ya your gonna be away for a long time. Now I must admit that I liked soccer before I moved here and I can name all the players on the U:S: National team. I can also name all the players on the Werder Bremen team and the German National team. I couldn't say that before I moved here though. All I knew a year ago was all the players on the San Jose Earthquakes. I don't guess you've ever heard of them, but a good friend of mine "Dwane De`rosario", (He scored the "Goal of the year" for the last two years for the MLS.) O.k. I met him once or twice, but I got his autograph....Look him up. He plays for the Quakes and is also a member of the Canadian National team. Listen ,Dixie... I gotta respect your boldness when it comes to boasting about München, although you realize Bremen is gonna turn things around and win this thing!! Huh? Really..... Yea, realllllly. Hey Dixie you wanna put a bet on this Bundesliga thing? Werder wins and you pay and München win and I pay? On the other hand, I have a bet with my brother in law. If USA wins the cup I get to drive his bad ass Mercedes for a month.... If deutchland wins I have to wash that same car for a whole year. Whats your bet Dixie? Hummmmmm...

1:17 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Rich, I'll take you up on that bet between Bremen and Bayern. I have no doubt in my mind that Bayern will be Deutcher Meister. And I'll be even kinder and not rub it in about Bremen's tragedy on Wednesday night. I actually was rather put out by Bremen losing because I can't stand St. Pauli.

I have to say though that if you get to drive the bad add Mercedes for a month I will truly be happy. I don't think it will happen but I will be happy.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to see how much German I remember...

1. A Window
2. Um, yeah
3. I should know this.
4. Over your ... something
5. Something the day
6. Ein Bier, bitte.
7. Something to you
8. Uh ....
9. When You Sleep
10. Men

That's five years of German in action right there!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I had been about to ask where your footballish loyalties lay. Now I don't have to. Thank you for pre-empting my query. I appreciate your situation.

I have a fairly wildly mixed heritage/affiliation which tends to get me into trouble come world cup/euro championship times. Obviously Germany's the biggest rival, if they should get so much as a free kick against England I get mouthfuls of abuse from a certain loved one on the other sofa. And when Portugal beat us two years ago, he couldn't bring himself to even speak to me. If the England team could just tiptoe their way to the final along a path that I have no hint of affection for, this campaign will be fun.

Fortunately most of the club teams I support in the European leagues are pathetic and never make it into any uefa competitions to face each other and cause me grief.


Jemima

Note of interest: football=soccer, USA=word thieves

2:51 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

What could be better than England beating Germany in the final of the World Cup?

Bremen beating Bayern 5-0 would be pretty close!

It was nice to see St. Pauli get through on Wednesday. If they get to play Bayern and win it will have been worth it :)

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home