http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: A knitter can dream, can't she?

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

A knitter can dream, can't she?

I admit that I'm still in the novice knitter stage. I can do some different stitches but as of yet I'm doing those different stitches on rectangles. I have yet to make something round, unless you count the fuzzy black tube fiasco.

But I want to do more. I want to branch out and go beyond right angles so to that end I've set a couple goals for myself. It may take me forever and a day to reach them but I figure that setting a goal is the first step.

How very Hallmark card of me to put that thought together, eh?

Here's my first goal and one I think I can do this year. It's called Aibhlinn .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think I can do the swirling rib stitch but I am iffy about the bobbles. The instructions for them intimidate me some but maybe it's not too much more than making an organized blob of yarn.

And here's my dream, dream, dream sweater called Folly .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think that's the coolest damn sweater I've ever seen in my life. And one that would actually fit my ample curvy self!

Looks hard. Looks really hard. But I can't resist that funky, sassy sweater that just screams "Look at me! I am the coolest thing you've ever seen!".

You know. Just like me.

9Comments:

Blogger BarefootCajun said...

OMG, I love that sweater!!!! Although the thought of trying to make it nauseates me.

I've been hanging out at http://www.knittinghelp.com and with the help of Amy's videos have been teaching myself how to knit Continental. It appears that I was taught to knit incorrectly so I'm reteaching myself. Argh! It gave me a headache the other night thanks to all the concentrating but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

11:38 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

I also noticed that the girl wearing the sweater is the same pasty white that I usually am during the winter.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

M, I thought of when I saw her! Pale skin, dark hair.

And that sweater would look so boss on you too!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Oh wow, that sweater is incredible! And yay for sizing that goes up to 4XL for us bustier women. Goals are Good Things to have. And as my friend Anne keeps saying, if you can knit and purl, you can do anything.

In other good news, I figured out the final bit of the "make 1" so my hat is now up to the "knit 3 inches of stocking stitch" stage. It's a good feeling to accomplish something.

Now if we could only get on the road.. we're already nearly 2 hours late leaving.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Circular needles I can do. It's double pointed needles that intimidate me. Thankfully Folly just calls for circular and straight needles.

If I could learn and master Continental knitting I'd have it made. My MIL could help me out when I'm stuck but she can't show me what to do because I don't knit like her. So I have to face it - learn Continental and I'll be able to knit this dream sweater.

I wonder if I can skip the bobbles on the cowl? You know, just knit a garter stich only bottom edge for two rows then begin the swirling diagonal rib. I'm just scared to tackle those bobbles!

1:08 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Maybe I'll make two - one with bobbles and one without! :)

2:46 AM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

Dix, I think you could do bobbles. If not, just a finished edge would be cool.

Hey, Robin - is your blog back up? I've been missing reading you daily. :-)

Dix - check out www.knittinghelp.com. I swear Amy's videos will help you learn so quickly. I'm enjoying Continental but it's hard to quit thinking about making stitches the other way. Oy!

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mollie likes the Folly!

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, I hope you give my pattern a try. The bobbles really aren't difficult at all. If it makes it easier, practice a few bobbles with some scrap yarn. If you learn to like bobbles now, you'll love them later!

Cheers!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home