Friday Shuffle - Let's Make This Snappy Edition
We're gonna just hit the highlights and commence to shuffling because I'm worn out. And I need an ice cream sandwich.
- I bought a new pair of sandals today. This is a monumental occasion because I hate buying shoes but the only sandals I had were literally falling apart. Well, I do have one other pair but they're a flip-flop type and when I get off of streetcars I'm always afraid I'm going to kick it off. I live across the street from a shoe store that specializes in people with weird feet (very small feet or very long feet - in my case it's having a very high instep) so I blew it, pointed out a pair to the sales lady, told her I wear a 38, tried 'em on, flipped her my debit card and got the hell out of there. I'll bet I wasn't in that store ten minutes. I'll bet I wasn't in there eight minutes.
- It's Darling Mollie's birthday. I hope this birthday will be the beginning of a new life year for her that's filled with nothing but wonderful things. She deserves every fabulous thing in the world. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely adore her.
- I'm so disappointed in my new cell phone. It's still adorable and all but the battery sucks. For the first couple weeks I had it everything was fine. Yesterday I unplugged it after it had recharged and all looked fine, then in the afternoon I looked at it and the battery was half empty and by evening it was only about a quarter full. This morning the battery was nearly empty so I let it charge again. Two hours after I removed it from the charger it was back down to being half full. Folks, it's not like I'm talking on it for hours every day. I've used it to talk three times since I've had it. All it does is sit in stand-by. Right now it's 1/3 full and it's been less than 9 hours since I took it off the charger. Couldn't it be cute and still not suck?
- Norbert's funeral was this morning. It was sad. And crowded. It was nice to see that so many cared about Norbert that they wanted to pay their respects in person. After the burial, Norbert's family and friends were gathering at the restaurant that's next to the cemetery but I begged off because I had to get home to B. As a sort of weird aside, the name of the restaurant is Der Totenkopf (Death's Head). Isn't that so bizarre to name a restaurant Death's Head? I mean I know it's next to a cemetery and all but come on! But B told me it's been there forever - he can't remember a time when it wasn't there - and he says that's always been the name of it. It's now actually owned by the mortuary that's there by the cemetery. And in a weird sort of...I dunno...irony perhaps, Der Totenkopf is where B first met Holger when they were teenagers when they had dances there. Years later, by a tragic coincidence, B and Holger were roommates in the rehab hospital after they both had accidents that injured their spinal cords - at that time it was the only spinal rehab hospital in the state. And who else was Holger? Norbert's elder son. That's how B's mom and dad and Norbert and his wife became friends - they both had sons in the same rehab hospital and since they all lived in the same city they'd drive down together each weekend to visit B and Holger. Our families have stayed close over the 25 years since their accidents.
- Online mah jong is becoming like crack to me.
- If I don't finish the pair of socks I'm working on within the next 24 hours not only am I going to scream but I won't get credit in the jillion sock knit-alongs I belong to and if I don't get my credit, I'm gonna be cranky. And twitchy. I hate failing at stuff like that. Of course if I'd lay off the online mah jong a little bit I wouldn't be under the gun like this.
- Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
- I Don't Even Know Your Name - The Mavericks (oh the tasty, tasty Raul Malo)
- Put It Behind You - Keane
- Stand - REM
- Alle Möbel Verruckt - Roger Cicero
- Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
- Mr. Brown - Glow
- Cartouche - Blackmore's Night
- Callin' Baton Rouge - Garth Brooks
- Kickstart My Heart - Mötley Crüe (Bixente the iPod seems to know it's Darling Mollie's birthday)
Labels: Friday Shuffle