http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - His Birthday, My Gift Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Friday Shuffle - His Birthday, My Gift Edition

I love my husband more than I have ever loved anyone but there's one thing about him that I don't like - he's impossible to buy gifts for. He goes through clothes slowly so buying them for him as a gift is simply not needed. He doesn't wear watches or any other sort of jewelry. He doesn't carry a wallet. He's not into sweets or gourmet foods or wine. And he really, really, really doesn't need shoes. Sometimes he likes to have something for his computer - a game or some sort of accessory but even that is a rarity so it's generally not a gift giving choice when a gift giving occasion comes up.

Today is B's birthday and so what did I get him for his birthday? Nothing. I was going to get him one of those digital weather station things but at the last moment his mom said she had one that she's never opened and so he said "Oh I'll take it.". I did buy him flowers but that's it. He simply doesn't want anything right now so I'll just wait for the day when he does say he wants some sort of gadget or game and I'll run right out and get it for him.

But gifts were still received today - by me. I've been whining for ages for a new cell phone but like B needing shoes, I have very little need of a cell phone. I have one but I rarely use it - it's only used if I'm calling him to say I'm going to be late or he's calling me to say I need to come home right away. In other words I use it about four times a year. We'd look at cell phones but couldn't justify replacing the one I have for no other reason than it's nerdy looking. And then the cell phone gods smiled upon me and made my MIL's used-even-less-than-mine cell phone crapped out. Since they're both pre-paid cell phone accounts B and I decided to buy me a new cell phone, switch out the SIM cards and give my MIL my old cell.

The new one arrived today and I wish I were kidding when I say that I have done virtually nothing all day that hasn't revolved around me diddling with it. I can't help it though. It's so cute. It's piiiiiiink!!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Tell me that's not adorable! All it needs is some glitzy and oh-so-tacky cell phone jewelry and I'm all set!

So all day while the house phone has rung off the hook with birthday calls for B we've been messing with virtually ever feature of my new toy. And while it should be a day when B ooohs and aahhs over something for him, he's been over-the-moon happy that I'm so thrilled with the cell phone I've been wanting for so long. That's one of the reasons I adore my husband so much. He's at his happiest when he's done something sweet and thoughtful for me and seeing me enjoy it so much.

Happy birthday, my darling. Every time we celebrate the day you were born I know I'm the recipient of the best gift I could ever wish for - your steadfast, precious love.

Today's shuffle comes exclusively from my love song playlist. Grab someone you love, hold 'em close and slow dance while Bixente the iPod provides the mood music.
  1. Longer - Dan Fogelberg
  2. Kiss You All Over - Exile
  3. Pressing Lips - Pursuit of Happiness
  4. The Game Of Love - The Mindbenders
  5. You'll Never Know - Rosemary Clooney
  6. O What A Thrill - The Mavericks
  7. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies
  8. Beautiful Dream - Adam Ant
  9. Devoted To You - Everly Brothers
  10. Crazy Love - Van Morrison
Have a love-filled weekend.

Labels: ,

10Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

YAY! Happy Birthday B!

He should try playing Wolrd of Warcraft - there are European servers to account for time differences...

1:00 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Burkhard thanks you, Hilda!

He tried to play WoW with a free demo account but it doesn't work well with how he's able to use his mouse and keyboard so it's not a game he can play. Too bad because he thought he would enjoy it.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Happy Birthday :) I think the two of you are so lucky to have found each other.

I think I've said that before, but I guess it bears repeating :)

2:43 AM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

Happy Birthday to B! I wish for him cold, crisp beer, juicy bratwurst, glorious sunshine and soft breezes, fragrant, colorful flowers, smiles from his lovely wife, some delicate schnitzel and the fatest, plumpest, most jolly new Santa figure at Christmas to add to your collection.

I pray that all his friends and loved ones (including his mother and Gerd, and even Aunt Annoying and Uncle Milquetoast, his cousins in Australia, his friend with the digestive disorders and his dear mother in law) may have a wonderful year so that his heart may not worry about them. I pray that the neighbors will be considerate and fragrant.

And I send many blessings for happiness, peace, serenity and a minimum of need to see the dentist in the coming year.

For you both! From me.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Happy day to the handsome Birthday Boy! Birthdays around here are "all about me" days. I hope this day leads you right through the weekend with cakes and visitors.
Dix, when I got my much coveted pink phone I searched far and wide to find a clear plastic cover. No way was I covering this shiny, colorful gem so I couldn't show off the obvious I'M-A-GIRL statement that PINK makes.

4:24 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Happy Birthday, B! Hope you had a good one.

Yeah, gifts can be so difficult. But you're giving B. the gift of YOU 365 days a year and I think he appreciates that more than anything.

(Secretely coveting cell phone even though I barely ever use mine either. So pretty!)

5:41 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I love that cell phone! And Happy Birthday, B.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I just love reading about how happy you and B are together. It makes me smile.

I'm jealous of your pink phone. I've been putting off buyin a new one, but I want a pink one, so that's motivating me to run the gauntlet at the Verizon store.

5:37 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Sorry I'm late but my wish is still for a wonderful birthday and glad that things are going so well!

3:26 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

B thanks you all for the sweet birthday wishes - they really made his day!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home