http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Let it begin

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Let it begin

Just a few more final touches and I'll be completely ready for Christmas. Normally by now I'm in full Christmas fever but this year I'm not quite as revved up. I'm not disliking the holidays this year but my normal over-the-top enthusiasm hasn't made its appearance.

We host Christmas celebrations at our home each year because B can't get into the apartments of others. Normally Christmas Eve morning finds me frantically scrubbing the toilet and stashing out of place stuff wherever I can find place to stash it but this year, due to us having just moved in, I'm more organized. Everything's clean and with the exception of sending the wine and champagne glasses through the dishwasher's rinse cycle and ironing a tablecloth, I'm ready for the holiday to begin. Oh, and I have to run to the store first thing in the morning. My MIL's oven seems to be crapping out and she's ruined three cakes today on the strength of it. Coffee and cake time is de rigueur on Christmas Eve and I don't have time to bake a cake tomorrow so it looks like it'll be Coppenrath und Wiese to the rescue.

B's aunt and uncle join us for one day of the celebrations and this year it's Christmas Eve. I tend to dread her constant loud talking and his incessent nose blowing but I've resigned myself to grit my teeth through any little irritations, just as long as their dog keeps her ass off my new sofa. Contrary to the delusions of B's aunt their dog isn't our "cousin" and doesn't get to romp all over my furniture. It's only four or five hours and I can manage to not roll my eyes during that time. They're really not such horrible people. It's as though they have some sort of deal worked out with God that if they're normal for ten minutes they then get to spend two minutes being completely annoying.

It's after they leave that I'm looking forward to. I want to put on my jammies, get on the sofa next to B, watch Christmas movies and eat popcorn and cookies until I'm half nauseated and then at midnight I want to stand on my balcony. Every church bell in the city will ring at midnight and since I'm now surrounded by churches - many more than in my old neighborhood - it should sound really wonderful.

And that's my very favorite part of Christmas. The gathering of family and exchanging gifts and eating cream cake and being warm and comfortable at home is wonderful but then when I hear the bells of Christmas it touches my heart.

May the peace and joy of the season be with you and your family.

8Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

May the peace and joy of the season be with you and your family as well.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I followed the conditorei link. I knew I shouldn't, but I did. I don't speak or read German, but the glory of cake transcends language.

All the very best to you and yours (and enjoy the cake!)

12:07 PM  
Blogger christina said...

What fun! My husband, who was weanted on Coppenwrath und Wiese cakes, incidentally, also has a loud-mouth aunt and uncle but luckily they live on another continent!

We're spending a quiet Christmas Eve at home - just the four of us, and the in-laws will come for lunch tomorrow so I've minimized the stress this year.

Hope you and yours have a lovely Christmas!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

MAy your Christmas be filled with joy and love.. and plenty of cream cake. I'm even done with my holiday knitting! Yay!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Miz said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and B.
I hope your New Years is happy, healthy and peaceful!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and B!!!

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing says christmas like a tummy ache and movies! :D

I hope you had lovely Christmas Mizz Dixie. Stay safe in the Newy Year too.

..

1:32 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

I think your comment to counter the aunt's rudeness in suggesting you read more German, was perhaps the most ladylike response given the circumstances. Me? It's always suggested that, "don't you make normal food?" There's no accounting for rudeness.

In April I should encounter my own culture gap as my in-laws will be coming here for a long stay (perhaps six months, assuming they don't get horrendously bored and want to go home before hand). They're from India. My husband suggested to me to EXPECT them to go rifling through my possessions. I hope she finds my vibrator.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home