http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: What I want under my tree

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

What I want under my tree

Christmas is the time of year when you get to ask Santa - whoever your Santa may be - for something you really, really want. You wait and wait all year long for gift getting heaven to arrive and so if you're going to ask for something for Christmas, you'd better make it something you've got your heart set on. It doesn't have to be useful. It doesn't have to be practical. It doesn't even have to be expensive. All that matters is that it's your heart's desire.

So this is what I want for Christmas. A Dirndl.

Ever since I moved to Germany, I've wanted a Dirndl. I can't say it's something I've had my heart set on exactly but it's just one of those things I've always wanted to someday have, just because. I have a list of things of stuff I'd like to one day posess before I die and right after diamond earrings and a convertable I've got "Dirndl" on the list.

What a stupid thing to want.

Dirndls, naturally, aren't stupid. Lots of women have one. Lots of women have a few of them. No, what's stupid is me wanting to have one for my own. Why?
  1. I don't live in Bavaria.
  2. Women in my part of Germany who walk around in a Dirndl and aren't visiting from Bavaria look about the same as someone sitting on Waikiki Beach in chaps, cowboy boots and spurs. It's a look that belongs somewhere but not here.
  3. I have no place to wear a Dirndl. This isn't something you pop on to go grocery shopping.
  4. I never have been to and likely never will go to Oktoberfest and therefore have no excuse to wear one in a proper setting.
  5. Good Dirndls are sort of expensive. Too expensive for just a lark.
  6. I have no idea what shoes to wear with a Dirndl.
But there's something that overrides all of that. They're cute. They're damn cute. And I have yet to see a woman look bad in a pretty Dirndl. Doesn't matter how tall you are nor how fat or thin you are, you'll look good in one.

And so I secretly pine for a Dirndl. Even though I may never wear it more than just to admire myself in the mirror, I want a one. I'll even get the proper shoes if I must.

So Santa, if you read this, please put a pretty Dirndl under the tree for me. Or if you think it's more, you know, practical and I'll get more use out of it, you can leave diamond earrings instead.

Think my Santa's gonna fall for this?

[A Best of Holidailies exceptional entry]

12Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I had a pretty dirndl when I was a kid and lived in Germany. I loved that thing. It was comfortable.

10:59 PM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

I think that the shoes should be a flat black ballet pump.

I want one. But only after I have a sari and a kimono.

11:23 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I have a dirndl! - if you go back to my October archives you can see it. It doesnt fit me any more, unfortunately, but I still like it.

Yeah, the thing about wearing a dirndl in northern Germany is that everyone will think you're just visiting from Bavaria. And they are VERY expensive. I suppose you have a C&A department store in your town? They have a 'Landhaus Mode' section and sometimes have that type of thing for reasonable prices.

And the shoes? - low-heeled pumps or those shoes that lace up on the side.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh Zoe! I want a sari too! Saris are like Dirndls - everyone looks good in them.

Christina - I had a pair of those shoes that lace up the side and I wore 'em until they pooped out. They look cute with jeans! And I'm going back to your archives because I want to see your Dirndl.

12:04 AM  
Blogger MF said...

Drindls are sexy. Rrrrowr.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love one! I was watching this show on the tv and this lady was explaining about how tying meant you were single or married. It's a nice outfit for general formal activities I think.

But yeah since it is the national costume for Bayern it would make me feel out of place to wear it here. But we don't have a nice national costume in our region :(

I dunno, if you go for like a shorter, sexier version perhaps a pair of lace up boots would look nice.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

As a foreigner living over there, surely you're entitled to at least one display of Grossly Inappropriate Attempt to Engage in Local Culture? I think a dirndl is a wonderful idea.

Have some Christmas chocolate for me. I crave the stuff and have never been able to find it outside of Germany.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

See, I think if you had a dirndl where the blouse part was the same color or a different hue (rather than stark white) you probably could get away wearing it. I know here in the states, you pretty much could get away with anything.

Shoes? Clogs of course!

A sari? I have one. And trust me, not everyone looks good in them, assuming, of course, one knows how to wrap those nine yards of fabric! I think saris have got to be the most opulent of outfits to wear, and not very practical, even less practical than a dirndl. However, my m-i-l even SLEEPS in one, and when she went to the Himalayas last year and rode a donkey,and when she frolicked at a beach, she wore her saree. South Indian women have a thing about bifurcated garments.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Noooo...not clogs. Not with a Dirndl. Haferl (the shoes that lace on the side) or Dirndlschuhe (low heeled pumps) seem to be what's shown in most catalogs that sell these clothes.

Maybe I'll start small. Maybe I'll get some Haferlsocken and move up from there.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

A low cut one, right James? :D

9:01 PM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

First of all, congratulations on the nomination... definitely deserved it, this post had me cracking up.
Now the only time I was in Germany, I was three and I definitely was not in a dirndl, but I'm going to go with the flat ballerina style slipper to match this. (I'm wondering if you could rent one for a day, just to get it out of your system)
Will you also wear those little braided Princess Leia buns on the sides of your head? You must.

6:08 AM  
Blogger jane said...

did you ever get a dirndl?

i lived in bavaria - munich, actually, and just had to get one. it still is one of the sexiest articles of clothing i own and my husband adores it! i trot it out once or twice a year for special partie and believe me, in haddonfield, nj, it gets a lot of looks.

x
jane

p.s. i like your blog and was just rreading some of your archives.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home