http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Pupa

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Pupa

I think we're reaching critial mass with my late-winter doldrums and general ennui. I've now become so sluggish that I am almost downright shiftless and only stir myself long enough to take care of B (regardless of how lazy I become, my care for B never waivers one iota - I'm very rigid about this), keep us in cooked meals and clean dishes, get enough laundry done to keep our butts covered, knit and work the remote controls. Everything else, however, is sliding. It's only B and I here and B's not really able to mess things up so our apartment never gets completely dirty...mostly it just gets cluttered with old paper that need to be taken to the recycler and everything's covered with a thin layer of dust and dog hair. I have no interest in getting outside to do more than walk the dog, restock the larder and maybe go to the DVD rental place (even the lure of the touch screens has eroded) and only then if I feel like going out twice in a day because I pride myself on getting a DVD back within 3 hours so I only have to pay 49 cents for the rental.

No shit, if spring doesn't come soon and with it my zest for doing something - anything! - of real interest and consequence then I predict that within the next month I'll become some sort of pasty white hermit complete with matted hair and threadbare clothing who shys away from sunlight like Frankenstein's monster from a torch.

I'm trying to think of myself as being on the verge of bursting forth from my self imposed chrysalis. Sounds a bit more high minded than "I'm being downright slovenly but I'll get my ass in gear soon.".

9Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

I was surfing through our television channels and came across EUROSPORT, they were airing a soccer game being played in Germany. It was snowing like gangbusters and the games was continuing as if it were a warm spring afternoon. I thought of you and your winter blues.

Here is my best joke. Sure to cure the most virilent case of winter blues. Be careful this is powerfully funny, so make sure you bladder is completely empty before reading ...

Q.What did one pig say to the other pig on a hot summer's day?

A.I'm bacon (baking). -see better allready!

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pupa? PUPA?! dix. come on. your entry title grossed me out. come visit my website, dix, i changed everything around and drew a new header and it's all springy and it makes me happy. it will cheer you up. and help you change into a butterfly.

10:34 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I like the chrysalis analogy a lot and I know *exactly* how you feel right now. If it weren't for the kids and the necessity of venturing out to forage for food, I wouldn't be getting of my rear end at all these days.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

We were doing lifecycles today. Couldn't believe it when the word Chrysalis came out of one of my pupil's mouths (they are quite 'special') The problem was I'm never quite sure about all those phases and didn't want to admit this to the kids, or look it up, coz I had a school governor in with me. So thanks for reminding me, Dixie!

Other than that I'm desperate for some sun. My world has turned from an icerink into a swimming pool and I'm not at all happy about it.

6:27 PM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

Girl, you have the opportunity to hibernate, so take it - I would if I were you. Spring will be here soon enough, and you'll just get the bronzer out to your pasty skin - God invented Clinique for a reason.

Here's my favourite joke (and also Alfie's)
A sausage and an egg are cooking in a pan. The sausage turns to the egg and says "hot in here isn't it?"

The egg screams "aaaarrrggghhh - a talking sausage"

9:16 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Bah. Just curl up and eat chocolate and hibernate til Spring comes. Nothing wrong with that.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Y'all are the best. Best silly jokes (I actually did bray like a donkey laughing at them!), best encouragement, best excuse givers.

I hang around the best crowd!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

It was worth reading this through to the very end of the comments to get a good laugh for my day--esp. the egg's response to the sausage! So, as they all said, there's a time for everything. Maybe you've needed the hibernation!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so it's not just me with the funk.

I was just about to write about this too and now I don't feel so whiny LOL

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home