http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Un-haiku Thursday

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Un-haiku Thursday

If you're here thinking you're going to be treated to some haiku because it happens to be Thursday then I regret to inform you that you're going to be sorely disappointed. Or greatly relieved. Please don't tell me which you are unless you believe your admission will boost my already inflated ego. I tried but I just don't have the haiku groove going today.

It seems to be a symptom of my day. I go into something expecting it to go one way and I'm handed a twist.

Sort of like this whole post. I've been writing it for nearly two hours now and I keep deleting it. It's just not working. So instead I'll stop beating my head against a brick wall and just briefly hit the highlights of my day:

~ Our new personal banker came to visit B and me today. Our old one was a fidgety woman who bugged me. Our new one is a smokin' hot guy and seems to know what he's talking about. Not that I was paying much attention to what he was saying. I was focusing on how smokin' hot he is.

~ The finish on my glasses is coming off. They're just over a year old and in my world that's a little soon to have the finish coming off, especially since I don't wear them every day. I went to the optician today all ready to get defensive and threaten to take my business elsewhere and advise them that I'd badmouth them to every person in Germany who reads my blog because surely they were going to say that it was simply too bad that the finish was rubbing off my glasses and they couldn't help me. This is Germany! We don't do customer service!

Instead the optician not only apologized to me for my glasses not living up to my expectations, but he ordered new legs for the glasses (the finish is rubbing off on just one leg but he didn't want to take chances with the other one) and he'll call me when they arrive so I can just go down there and have the optician immediately replace them. He smiled! He was pleasant! And he remembered my husband when he looked up our name in the computer!

Okay, so a guy in a wheelchair married to an American speaking Germany with shakey grammar isn't so easy to forget but I still put it on my list of good qualities to have in an optician. Apollo Optik in Allee Center, I love you!

~ I got home from the mall expecting to make supper when B said he'd rather just have Chinese food. Hey! Unexpected break from cooking! I'll take it!

I waited until it just about the time we wanted to eat before walking the twenty-five yards up to the Chinese take out place. I could see the door to the adjacent market wide open but the door to the take out place was closed. It's never closed! It could be the dead of winter and below freezing outside and that door would still be open. It wasn't just closed but locked with no one behind the counter and the lights off. No friendly lady behind the counter to take my order. No smiling man ready to make his wok do my bidding. No chance of me getting crispy vegetables and chicken in a lucious brown sauce with just a touch of coconut milk added and poured over steamed rice. And no crispy, hot spring rolls. That's the one that really got me.

I had to turn and walk back home with a heavy heart. My disappointment was deep indeed.

Probably not as deep as your disappointment of not finding snappy haiku here to greet you but what is?

4Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

I saw this on Flickr and immediately thought of you. I hope it makes you smile :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49503124519@N01/225062494/

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kim sorry your day didn't go so well, especially on the chinese take out. I HATE when I get a hankerin' for something and they're closed :o\

the sun is out for you though no? :D that's something! *hug*

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi ya Dix!

It doesn't sound like a total washout of a day to me. Smokin' hot banker + nice salesman = okay day. However, the Chinese would get me bummed too. I can get pretty whiney when I have my heart set on a specific thing to eat and I can not have it.

Now, where is that ice cream?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

It sounds like two outta three is pretty good, from the sound of it. Too bad you had to end on a bad note, especially after B gave you a "way out!"

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home