http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Easter niblets

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter niblets

It's Sunday and a holiday to boot so we'll just wind up - or start off, depending on your perspective - with a few random things.

1. Contrary to evidence supplied in my 100 Dixie factoids, I am not a complete dumbass. Yeah, I can't sew or play the flute but I can name you off the top of my head the generals in most if not all major battles of the American Civil War so it all balances out.

Whether it's more important to know sewing or know Civil War battles is completely subjective.

2. I've lived in Germany for 7 1/2 years. And I am completely convinced that my mother will never remember that I am 7 hours ahead of her. She calls when it's 7pm here and asks me if we're sitting down to eat lunch yet. She'll call when it's 3pm here and ask me if we're awake yet. She'll call me at 4am here and ask me if I was the one who just called her and hung up before she had a chance to get to the phone.

Mother: Y'all had lunch yet?

Me: Mama, it's 7:00 here.

Mother: 7 in the morning?

Me: (muffled sound of me cracking my skull against the wall)

And long ago I gave up trying to get her to understand that Europe moves its clocks forward one hour a week before it's done in North America so for a week there's a 8 hour time difference between here and Mississippi. I tried to get that lesson across to her a few times and you'd think I was trying to tell her that the earth had shifted gears and for one week would be rotating backwards.

3. Blueberry muffins. Blueberry muffins. Blueberry, blueberry, blueberry muffins. Mmmm. Oh ye lucious blueberry muffins....

4. Still working on the cowl I'm making from black eyelash yarn. I think when this skein is finished it'll be finished. Hard to say what it'll look like but I think when I can try it on without the needles stuck in it I'll get a better idea. Right now though it looks like I'm knitting a bear.

5. I'm going to make the prediction that the plants my MIL gave me for Easter will be dead by Pentecost.

6. Normally the weather back home is so much more wonderful than what I'm currently having. So it is bad of me to be secretly gleeful that the weather in Mississippi this fine Easter Sunday is the same shitty mess I have in Germany?

7. I hope everyone has had a pleasant Easter weekend. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go knit my bear.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home