http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Observed at the Christmas market

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Observed at the Christmas market

On Sunday afternoons during avent we light our advent wreath, watch some goofy Christmas TV programming and have coffee, tea and cake. Today I was out of cake so I hightailed it down to the Christmas market (yet another opportunity to cheer over living downtown) to pick up some fresh, warm Schmalzkuchen (similar to beignets but spicier).

Seen along the way:

Peruvian flute players packing their Mystery Machine-like van to head home. I was imagining them scaling the heights of the Andes in their humble yet packed to the gills vehicle until I looked at the license plate and was reminded that they're just headed down the A-14 to Leipzig.

Two teenage boys eating half- meter- long bratwursts - a food item marketed strictly to the 12-25 year old male population. You'd never see a girl eating a half-meter-long bratwurst and if you did, it's for certain she'd have a line of boys watching her ever move with not just a little lust in their eyes.

Five different young teenage couples wearing matching lebkuchen hearts around their necks. Bless young love. I adore my husband and would gladly give my life for him but he shouldn't bother asking me to wear a lebkuchen heart around my neck.

Wee little children doing that bouncy little dance wee little children do while in line for the carousel. Adorable, except the music playing was the Pussycat Dolls. Now there's some authentic Christmas spirit.

9Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, people actually wear that giant heart thing around their necks? That MUST look goofy! Is it edible? What the hell is that?

Pussycat Dolls and Christmas... um, no. Something wrong there. One does not like to associate the word "pussy" with "Christmas," no matter how innocuously it's meant. It just doesn't go.

3:53 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

thanks for coming by my blog! I cannot wait to ask my (teenage) German teacher about Lebkuchen hearts. Just another question in my stack of stupid questions that perplex him. Heh.
Woo, a Mississippi blogger, yay!

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure my neck could even support a lebkuchen heart around it! LOL

I love hearing your Christmas Market stories, Dix!

3:22 PM  
Blogger sari said...

are those in case you want a snack later on? i'm all about snacks for now and later on, but I don't think I need that big of a snack!! ;-)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Yes, Lebkuchen hearts are edible - they're gingerbread - but few eat them. Mostly they keep them wrapped in plastic as a keepsake.

They come if various sizes too - from hand sized to hubcap sized.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, oh please try to get a picture of someone wearing one of those! Because I have it in my mind that anyone actually wearing these things around absolutely must look like a complete dork!

Then again, I always remember that it's the Germans who have elevated David Hasselhoff to the level of POP STAR. The ultimate in DORKY.

Germans are great, this is not meant to be prejudicial in any way! Germans are great - good beer, excellent sausages... just, you know, slightly deficient in coolness. The Japanese think the same thing of us, so it all comes out in the wash. Ha.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Time for some myth busting. David Hasselhof is not a pop star god in Germany. He had one hit song about fifteen years ago. You see him on TV here about every two years when they have some 80s nostalga show or something.

That story about Germans worshipping David Hasselhof is some crap made up by American TV to goof on Germans.

As for the Lebkuchen hearts, they were being worn by 12 or 13 year old kids. People buy them mostly for their children or to be silly.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now see what you learn!?! Thanks for busting the David Hasselhoff myth. That was worrisome and now I feel MUCH better.

Okay, I had a vision of a teen or 20 y/o walking around earnestly wearing a giant cookie heart and that was just dorky. But if it's kids and silliness... again, I'm relieved.

7:42 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Ginger-Bling!!

:-)

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home