http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Bitte und danke

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bitte und danke

Any of you knitting types out there, can you direct me to an easy, free sock pattern online? I want to learn to knit socks (especially since I got some gorgeous new sock yarn at Christmas) and I can't decide on what's going to be easy to learn to knit and what's going to be over my head right now. I'll add that I've never knitted with dpns before but I'll learn and practice before I start sock knitting.

Thanks!

5Comments:

Blogger Beege said...

I don't have any pattern advice, but as far as the dpns: they're a piece of cake, once you get your mind adjusted. They really don't work too much differently from knitting in the round, you just have to worry about losing stiches from two ends. ;)

8:08 PM  
Blogger christina said...

My friend Betty just started knitting socks - she might be able to help you, Dixie.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Thanks, Christina!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

The easiest way to learn to knit socks is to do something like Fuzzy Feet - they're great, because you learn all the techniques you need for making socks (knitting in the round, heel flap, turning a heel, picking up stitches, gusset decreases, toe shaping) but you use worsted wool on size 10 1/2 circular needles, so it knits up really quickly, and lets you learn the technique without struggling with toothpicks and teeny yarn.

But I'll reiterate what beege said - once you get the hang of positioning double pointed needles, they're really easy to work with. Another good website is the Sock Knitters Page with links to as many resources as you could ever want.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Kirsti, I knew you'd have the answer! Thanks, sugar!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home