http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Baggy Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Baggy Edition

Kim (not the me sort of Kim - this Kim) has made her own meme and thoughtfully tagged me for it. I know it's because she likes looking at my lipstick.

Here's are the guidelines:

~ Take a photo of the handbag/purse that you are using today.
~ Dump it out and take another photo.
~ Make a list of everything in your bag.
~ Post it on your blog (and let me know!)

Before starting this, let me say I have a sort of love/hate relationship with handbags. I love handbags. I used to own dozens but I couldn't bring them all with me when I moved to Germany. I have a hard time resisting a display of handbags and if I thought I could get away with it I'd buy more than I do. Here's where the hate part comes in. I really dislike actually carrying handbags. Let me explain that again - I like having pretty, funky, useful, fun handbags and love having my things neatly stored inside but I don't want to actually carry it around. I'm the world's worst for only carrying a handbag when necessary. If I'm just going to the bakery or down the street to the market to buy oranges I will only carry my wallet and a cloth shopping bag. For real shopping I will take my whole purse with me. I think this stems from the fact that when I'm shopping I'm either walking or on a streetcar and a handbag gets in the way of the other stuff I'm carrying. If I'm going to be in a car, purse okay. Walking, try to avoid purse.

The bag I'm carrying today is my handbag compromise. It's a small version of a courier bag and it's one of those jobs that has a pocket for anything. I can sling it over my head and shoulder and I'm hands free for carrying shopping bags. Not glamorous, but useful. It doesn't quench my desire for gorgeous, funky handbags though.

Here's my bag:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I have a version in tan for summer. I wish I were joking about that.

And here's all what I have stored inside:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Starting at the back and working our way forward you'll find my passport - the old and new one actually because I haven't gone to have my residency visa transferred into the new one yet - a package of five 2mm double pointed knitting needles - you know, just in case during my travels I run into a ball of sock yarn that needs immediate knitting, a card of my diabetes medication, my cell phone, Bixente the iPod tucked into his somewhat grimy white cover, my wallet (now that's the thing where all the good stuff is stored!), Bixente the iPod's earphones, package of tissues, three lipsticks, one tube of lip gloss, a tin where I keep my ever present TicTacs, a compact of powder makeup and the registration and insurance papers for my car. All of it's sitting on the cloth shopping bag that I always keep with me in my purse. Having a shopping bag with you at all times is very helpful in Germany.

All in all I don't think I have a very outrageous collection of stuff in my purse. I never was one who would carry a zillion things with me and I never keep a messy purse or wallet. The only things missing that I would normally carry with me is a comb and a pen but I was cleaning the comb yesterday and didn't put it back and I don't know where the pen went.

Today I saw one of the things peculiar about Germany, or at least it's something I find peculiar because I haven't seen it elsewhere - men carrying a Herrentasche, a hand held...well...purse. There's no other word for it. It's a purse for men. The usually look like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I know things like that shouldn't weird me out - because when you get down to it, why wouldn't men need something extra to carry all their stuff in? - but it does. I guess it's because they commonly look like toiletry cases. They're losing their popularity, especially among younger men, but you still see the 50 year old and up crowd with them from time to time.

This is my newest purse:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It was a birthday gift from Aunt Annoying and Uncle Milquetoast. It's a pretty blue suede and it's got all sorts of handy storage places in it as well but it's really too small for me. I'm too big of a person to carry such a tiny bag. It is, however, perfect for something else. It holds a ball of yarn very nicely so it's perfect for slinging over my shoulder so I can go out and knit in public.

Once in a while Aunt Annoying does give me good gifts.

As for tagging - I don't tag all that often but there are some of y'all out there whose purses I'd like to see. Sari? Katy? Sam? Let's see what's you've got. And anyone else for that matter who's brave enough to let us take a peek inside.

Time to shuffle. Bixente the iPod thinks he's famous now that he's been shown on my blog.
  1. If You Say Jump, I Will Say No - Irving
  2. Little Lover's So Polite - Silversun Pickups
  3. Beanbag Chair - Yo La Tengo
  4. Levon - Elton John
  5. The Stranger - Billy Joel
  6. Orange Crush - REM
  7. Ghost Of A Rose - Blackmore's Night
  8. Move It On Over - Hank Williams
  9. Here Come The Weekend - Dave Edmunds
  10. I Wanna Be Around - Tony Bennett, duet with Bono
Good weekend wishes to all.

Labels: ,

15Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I canNOT believe there are only three lipsticks in your purse. !!

I will do this. I'll let you know when as I am still an actual camera-with-film sort of girl.

Have a great weekend!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Believe me, if I wasn't toting around a little purse I'd have way more lipstick in there.

12:03 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I went outside and took my pictures. I only have 11 shots off of the roll though, I'll have to take some more and fill it up quickly!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd say it's way fair what you have but I never took my passport out unless I knew I was leaving the country.. I mean who asks?

2:05 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Oooo thanks for playing along! I also have a thing for funky bags but deep inside I have a huge resistance to carrying them around. I love your tiny blue bag and have a black one much like it which I like carrying because it is just slung around me body and me hands are free. Purses always slip off my shoulder and fall to the groound- it's so annoying!

I am such a voyeur- I loved seeing what is inside your bag!

7:26 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Thanks for playing along :)

I'm not too fond of the man "purses" as you showed either, but the cool ones with a long strap are quite nice looking. Maybe I'll ask hubby to pose with his :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love your current useful purse. I'm also all about looking for new purses and occasionally buying one if they excite me to the point of heart flutters. I tend to give my sister either one of my purses or a new watch each time I see her, so she has my last wonderful purse. My favorite thing inside my purse is my little red leather coin purse with two compartments.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I don't really care to walk around with my passport but it's my ID in Germany. While I usually don't need it, I do sometimes have to show it if I'm using my bank card and it's for a lot of money and I must have it while I'm driving.

You know I don't know why men don't use some sort of purse like thing. You'd think they would. I mean don't men have stuff they need to carry? I think it looks terrible if their pockets are stuffed with junk. I think cool looking purses for men are a good idea. I mean a sporran worn with a kilt is really just a purse and I don't know anyone who doesn't think a man in a kilt is hot.

Wallets are my other weakness. I love really great wallets with all sorts of clever and useful slots and pockets.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh, what fun! I guess the contents of a woman's purse really does say a lot about who she is! Which is why I'm a bit embarrassed to play, but intrigued enough to give it a whirl...

Carol

4:51 AM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

Hey! I played too! It is fun to see what's in other people's bags and hear about their bags and their stuff... how weird is that? My God, we're nosy! Hah, but in a gentle, supportive, non-threatening or creepy way!

Anyway, check me out when you get a chance: http://titankt.livejournal.com

6:41 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I memed! Go check out my junk.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore that first bag you posted...been trying to find one like it and having no luck. Could you tell me where you found it?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Sari and Katy - I peeked in your purses! Y'all done good!!

Tricia - The black bag (and the blue suede back for that matter!) is made by Travelon. My original tan Travelon messenger bag was given to me by B's aunt and she got it from QVC. The black one I bought for myself from someone who was selling it on Ebay.

I just looked on QVC.com. Search for Travelon and then on the second page you'll find the Travelon Expandable Leather Shoulder Bag with ID Wallet. That's my bag. Travelon also has a website - www.travelonbags.com but I am not sure that they sell online.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

I was wondering if that was a Travelon. I've got a blue suede one that I bought at the QVC store at the Mall of America...I love it, and I get a lot of compliments on it. However, right now I'm using a black, microfiber backpacky thing that helps balance me out since I'm at that stage in pregnancy where it helps to have a little weight in back to keep you from just tipping over. ;)

M carries a purse. We call it his "man bag". It's really more of a smallish backpack...he keeps his keys, phone, wallet, carmex, and Gameboy in it. He also usually has a theology book and a memo pad in there to record his thoughts, and he almost always also has a paperback novel to read just in case he's with me and I'm taking too long shopping.

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you ever so much. I will do a search...now I have a name to put with the product. ~Tricia

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home