http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Artists You'll Never See Shuffle Up Here Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Artists You'll Never See Shuffle Up Here Edition

I've often seen or heard in various places - blogs, online bulletin boards, water cooler conversation, parties - folks talk about what music they listen to. Inevitably someone will describe their taste in music as "eclectic". I'm sure I've even done it once or twice in my life. Honestly, have you ever heard of someone who didn't think their taste in music is eclectic? I mean who really would describe their taste in music as "undeveloped" or "pedestrian" or "one-dimensional" or even just "boring"? Music freaks and ordinary listeners alike love to talk about how they listen to everything from country to classical to rock to R&B to punk to showtunes. "I listen to everything from Mozart to The Monkees!". People love to claim they listen to everything that's out there with one common exception. "I have an eclectic taste in music. I listen to everything. Except rap."

It's ordinary to claim an eclectic taste in music. What's not as common is claiming to have an eclectic taste in music one won't listen to but I'm here to prove it's possible. Here's a list of musical artists you'll never, ever see shuffle up on any given Friday. It's not that I hate these artists - some of them have individual songs that I like at least somewhat but not enough to have on my iPod - but some are artists that I just can't abide. Not a definitive list - just who pops into my mind tonight.

And in no particular order:
  1. Janis Joplin - Okay, I do dislike her. There's not a Janis Joplin song I won't switch off the radio immediately.
  2. The Doors - Bleh. I don't get the attraction to Jim Morrison. I don't think he was a genius and think he was incredibly self absorbed. And that damn roller-rink-organ playing from Ray Manzarek drives me crazy.
  3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - John Fogerty's voice makes my skin crawl.
  4. Willie Nelson - As I said yesterday there are a couple Willie Nelson songs that I like but for the most part he gets a big no from me. That being said I love Seven Spanish Angels - the duet he does with Ray Charles - so maybe that would show up on a shuffle from me.
  5. The Grateful Dead - Oh hell no. I never got the attraction to them.
  6. Miles Davis - I don't want to say I hate all jazz but it's not a favorite musical genre of mine. Still I hate all his jazz.
  7. Jimmy Buffett - Another that just doesn't do anything for me. Margaritaville is an okay song. Actually I could probably name only three or four Jimmy Buffett Songs. Oh! Come Monday. That's a good song.
  8. Madonna - I like two Madonna songs. Else she bores me to tears.
  9. Norah Jones - A musical coma.
  10. Supertramp - Makes me have warm thoughts of a Janis Joplin/Doors marathon.
  11. Nirvana - Don't like them, don't dislike them. Just...nothing. I probably just made Poppy scream.
  12. James Brown - I know that may be disrespectful to say just after he's passed on but I have to admit it. I can't think of one song of his that I like even a little bit.
  13. Pink Floyd - Okay, I can get through a few of their songs but for the most part, can't stand them.
Admit it. At least some, if not all, of you read the list and thought "How can she hate ______? I love _______!".

Time to shuffle. Here's ten that I definitely like. Or maybe not. B's put a few songs on Bixente the iPod that I don't like so it's always a gamble.
  1. Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
  2. How To Save A Life - The Fray
  3. Nobody But Me - Pursuit of Happiness
  4. Lonesome Day - Bruce Springsteen
  5. You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth - Meat Loaf
  6. I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness
  7. Wake Up - Arcade Fire
  8. Roll With It - Oasis
  9. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
  10. Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
Admit it. Some, if not all, of you looked at my shuffle and thought "How can she like ______? I hate ______!" It's simple. I have an eclectic taste in music.

Have a great weekend. Do something that will make others scratch their heads.

Labels:

11Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, I didn't scream at your Nirvana apathy. I understand, I do. In fact, I just had a conversation with a punk geek pal of mine about Nirvana. While they had an impact on me, honestly, they weren't that special. I think they were more important because of their timing in musical history.

I very rarely say, "How can s/he like ____________?", since music tastes are so particular and personal.

I've never cared about The Doors, but I do have them on my iPod, thanks to some good mix CDs. Supertramp never did anything but annoy me. Pink Floyd? Oh God. I just turned off VH1 Classic because "The Wall" was on and I didn't want my child exposed to that shit.

Excellent shuffle. Well, except for #2. You'll probably never find The Fray on my iPod. :)

4:30 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Not even *one* Janis Joplin song? You don't like "Me and Bobby McGee"??? Yes I know Kris Kristofferson wrote it, but it's still a Janis Joplin song!

Ah well...if we all liked the same stuff, how boring would that be?

But seriously...you do like "Me and Bobby McGee", right? You just forgot about it for a minute. Right?

;)

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I tend to enjoy one particular genre of music, I really do have music that ranges from Tibetan vocal to real Bluegrass.

I try to listen to as much variety as possible because I'd hate to miss out on something wonderful just because the genre didn't appeal to me at first.

That being said, I find it hard to find an artist in the "speed metal" genre that I can listen to without wanting to claw my eyes out with a spoon.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

It would make getting to know people simpler if we could start with "don't make me listen to..."

I hate jazz, but Bossa Nova's not really jazz and everyone likes a bit of Miles ;-)

Some excellent points here! Shit, I think you made me think. It's too early for me to be doing that.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved eight out of ten artists on that list. Does this mean we can't be 'blog buddies' anymore? ;)

9:05 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Robin - You're a good mom, shielding your daughter from Pink Floyd.

You're right about how musical tastes are so personal. I sometimes wonder what develops our tastes in music. I think my complete love of cheesy pop was from having AM radio pumped into my brain from birth.

Hilda - Not one. Not even one. And Me and Bobby McGee is one of the worst offenders.

Belinda - With you it's speed metal. With me it's fusion jazz.

Jemima - Can't do Miles. And it's not from lack of trying!

Lisa - I'm leaving it all for you to listen to. More for you, sweets!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Good shuffle -- except for The Fray -- they bore me.

You don't even like Piece of My Heart?! I love that song. And Creedence and Willie Nelson? I love them.

5:36 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

I have no love for Nirvana, and they came out when I started high school. I was the loser still listening to Morrisey. I like a few songs, but I cannot say that there is a Nirvana song that would win a coveted place on my clandestine 1 gig mp3 player that nobody knows about. Well now everyone who reads your blog does.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

*I'm looking off into space with guilt written all over my face*

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one cannot stand Pearl Jam. I was part of the grunge generation and do like Nirvana- but Pearl Jam- don't see the genius. Nirvana is good rock in my book.

Hate Rod Stewart- he sounds like he is in pain with a bad sore throat.

Hate the Eagles. How I hate the Eagles- I would never have anything of theirs on a playlist. Mainly it is Don Henley- another raspy singer.

Madonna- I even went to her concert! It sucked! What an ego maniac.

Phil Collins- with Genesis, he is ok. Same with Sting and the Police.

Mollie

6:26 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Freedom of choice, it's what you've got. ;-)

I agree with you on a lot of your "never on my ipod" list. But I'm pretty all over in my choices as well. Last week I put on Muse and Gordon Lightfoot, so I have no pattern myself.

By the way, I did your musical meme!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home