http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: More Nature. Put On Your Sunscreen.

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

More Nature. Put On Your Sunscreen.

I know. I'm beating you to pieces with outdoorsy this week but it'll make up for the times this summer when I won't set foot outside and I whine, "I'm not going ouuuut! It's hotttt! And there are buggggs!".

I went to another park today. This one is a bit farther away but it's easily accessible to me by streetcar. I've been to it before in the middle of summer but it's this time of year that this particular park is special. I'd been told about it a couple years ago by one of Burkhard's aunties (one of the aunties that adores me) but had never seen it myself. I thought I had a few weeks time yet but my MIL told me she read in the newspaper that this is the week I needed to get down there, camera in hand.

Here's the view of the park at the entrance I used:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It look a little like pools of water in the distance or that the grass is simply blue, doesn't it?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It's definitely a blue lawn, but not grass. It's millions of little blue flowers.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


That's the individual flowers. They're called in German Scilla or Blaustern and a friend told me in English they're called Siberian Squill.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


They're everywhere. On virtually ever bit of grassy area are these little blue flowers. They normally don't bloom until April but since we're having mild weather a bit earlier than normal they've come out. They'll probably be gone again in the next week or ten days so folks are making sure they see them before they fade away for the year. I noticed as I walked along the paths winding through the park (this one is larger than the one I was at the other day but this one is perfectly flat - no scary stairs to contend with) that the flowers gave off a mild, sweet scent. It was rather charming in a sort of storybook way to see people laying in the flowers enjoying the sunshine. I've seen fields of wildflowers before but never this dense and over such a large area right in the middle of a city.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I have to go back down there before they fade for the season. I couldn't get enough of looking at that carpet of blue.

Labels:

7Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I love the blue flowers! They look like they're soaking up the sky and shining it right back!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

That's so beautiful and scent of damp turf is strong.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

These are fabulous pics of the Scilla, Dixie. I remember when Landlady Uschi showed me her pics last year in Hannover. They looked exactly like this, blanketing the ground. We'll be in Hannover next week. Will they be gone by then?

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pictures you've posted are beautiful, Dixie. Soon I'll have some pictures up of this year's cherry blossoms (and maybe the Japanese magnolias) in DC -- the peak is this weekend and next week.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Isn't that lovely, makes you want to lay down and bask in the blueness.

8:43 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I'm with miz, I imagine just lying donw amongst the beautiful carpet of flowers and soaking it all in. gorgeous.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I considered laying in them myself but the idea of me possibly getting a bug in my hair would. not. do.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home