http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Wish I Were There

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Wish I Were There

I love the 4th of July. I love the history. I love the parades. I love seeing flags everywhere and I get choked up when I hear the Star Spangled Banner played. I love the picnics of fried chicken and potato salad with chilled watermelon eaten for dessert. I love seeing who can spit the seeds the farthest. I love reading the Declaration of Independence - when I was eight I started a tradition of reading it every Independence Day. I love being outdoors all day long no matter if it was blistering hot and then waiting patiently for it to finally grow dark enough to set off fireworks. Or even better, finding a good viewing place to see a community fireworks show.

I'm a fireworks junkie. I'm a history junkie. I am a freak for Thomas Jefferson. And I love my country and I'm very proud of her. It's no wonder that, after Christmas, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday and it's no wonder that today I'm especially homesick.

So someone do me a favor. Someone eat some fried chicken for me. Someone put out their flag for me. Go to a parade and wave for me as it passes by. Spit some watermelon seeds for me. And someone light a whole box of sparklers for me and say "Ohhhh!" and "Ahhhh!" when you see some especially spectacular skyrockets. No need to love America for me today. I can do that wherever I am.

Happy Birthday, America.

Labels:

11Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dixie, I'll think of you all day! I'll raise my glass to toast our wonderful country with you in my heart! I wish you were hear with us! Not only for friendship but I remember your love for the 4th! So Kayla and I will say a few ooooohhhh's and aaaawwww's for you tonight as we watch fireworks. Happy 4th of July Dixie Peach! We miss you and we love you!

Susan

4:50 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

It is my first 4th back. I too will say and extra oooh and ahh for you this evening.

5:18 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Happy 4th of July to you!

7:27 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Do you know, I was breaking my comment-fast just to come over here and wish you a happy 4th? And then saw this post? And now I will be on the lookout for the best slice of watermelon. Watch for pictures.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Well dangit, you just went off and made me hungry for fried chicken! ;) The Fourth of July celebration in Geneva got rained out, so I, too, am living vicariously through others.

Happy Independence Day!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Miz said...

Happy 4th Dixie, your body is in Germany but that American spirit is celebrating with us.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be watching the fireworks on TV....

1:03 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Mr. Geek made some awesome potato salad this morning, we'll think of you and raise a rib later on.

:-)

1:24 AM  
Blogger Twango said...

I had ribs and tater salad and I'll be watching 'Freedom over Texas' on our local ABC13 channel cause there will be WAY too many people out there for me. I haven't had the watermelon as yet so I guess I'll have to eat at least 2 slices, one for me and one for you.

Hope your 4th was still a good one.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim- Thanks for the reminder that something that is taken for granted should be appreciated. I am not a fan of the 4th, but your memories brought me back to a time when my family hung out and ate and celebrated the way you did too!

Maybe when I have my own family I will celebrate it the way I loved to as a child!

Mollie

5:35 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Well Dixie,

I made the tater salad for our shindig and I'm a sparkler girl. They took a picture of me last night waving 2, one in each hand because I'm multi-talented that way!

Thinking of you!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home