http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Positively Volcanic

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Positively Volcanic

Let's get the gross stuff out of the way first. Gross neck funk? Gone as of this morning. This essentially sums up what happened although a caped mouse was not involved. I did, however, shake my sarong 'cause I ain't no lady.

And since it's Tuesday, it's time for yarn talk. You non-knitters go watch the Mighty Mouse cartoon again.

This is the sock I'm currently knitting for Darling Molllie.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It's a 10-stitch mosaic pattern - this one is the simulated basket weave. Isn't it cute? Admit it. It's hot. It's smokin'. That's one hot, smokin' sock! Here's a closeup of the stitch pattern on the leg:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It's my first try at knitting with two different strands of yarn that aren't being held together. While it may look complex, it's actually rather simple. You only knit with one color or the other on each round - no knitting two stitches of one color and three stitches of another - which is another sort of knitting. I feel that now that I've gotten this technique down I may branch into stranded patterns.

No chance of this not getting finished or the second sock remaining unknit. This is for Darling Mollie. If I don't deliver, she'll send out sock thugs to lean on me. You don't dangle a smokin' hot sock like that in front of her and not come through with the goods.

Labels:

6Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you blogging and not knittig?

KNIT KNIT KNIT, DAMN YOU!!!!

I love socks by Kim!

Mollie

3:13 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Eeeeeeew on the volcano thing. But better an eruption than a festering pit of red-hot magma, eh?

The lovely socks make up for it, however. That pattern is SO cool.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I typed this comment before but I think it got lost, here's hoping it will make it to you this time.

There is no way you can convince me to click on a video of the eruption. No way.

I love this episode of knitting talk. I am facinated. I keep wondering who came up with this idea? I wonder how long has knitting been around? How many really smart people have come up with so many great knitting ideas. Something that has been passed down from one generation to the next, it is timeless. I am currently quilting, or trying to figure out how to quilt. Next will have to be knitting.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Those socks are too cool. I'm jealous--I wish I could do that. One day I'm going to come to Germany and you're going to show me how to knit...

9:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mollie - Ya slave driver you!

Christina - Ewww is right! But today it's much better. And that is a pretty cool pattern, isn't it? I like how it looks more complex than it is to knit.

Marsha - It's not a video of my eruption - it's an old Mighty Mouse cartoon where he fights an erupting volcano. Safe to look at even for Lily!

I'm with you. I'm in awe of people who can design patterns, especially for socks where you have to combine functionality, beauty, and the ability to show off the design with so many different yarns. I know how to take a stitch that someone else has already designed and apply it to a sock but I don't know how people come up with the actual stitch. They're certainly more artistic than I am.

You'd love knitting. I'll bet you can take a class at a local yarn shop or craft store.

Kitty - I think knitting would be fun for you. You could most certainly learn. And if you come on up to visit me, I'll be sure to teach you how.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is the shiznit! How cute is that. And do you know how much she is going to LOVE those socks?

Number one, you knitted them.

Number two, they're cute as hell.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home