Dixie Peach: Non-Stop Delight

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Non-Stop Delight

It's been such a fun-filled and pleasant day here in the Peach household. I can barely contain how full of joy I am and please, please give me the immense honor of sharing my happiness drenched day with you!

After a restless night of listening to the winds howl and the rain pound on the windows I was finally able to fall asleep somewhere around 5:00am. My neighbor's daughter, knowing instinctively that I would certainly not want to start my day with more than two hours of sleep thoughtfully awoke me at 7:00am by playing her piano. How kind it was of her to play the same eight bars of music for twenty minutes straight!

Once my sunrise concert was over I was able to once again fall asleep for another two hours. When I awoke I could see that it indeed was a lovely day outside with bright sunshine streaming through my living room windows. As I had an appointment with my hairdresser this morning I quickly showered and dressed and by the time I was ready to leave the weather had changed. Why have gorgeous sunshine outside when I could be treated to more rain? Mother Nature herself must have sent it to me personally because she knew I'd enjoy strolling in it while going to my car. And I can barely express how thrilled I was when I remembered that I'd left my umbrella in the car! Why I was shouting with glee at the very thought of it!

I had my hair colored today and I wish I had the right words to describe how absolutely tickled I was for my hairdresser to wash my hair wearing stiff rubber gloves. As she rubbed my scalp and at the same time tore hair out at the root I could only think of how fortunate I was to have such stimulating scalp massage!

The rest of the afternoon was rather uneventful. I went grocery shopping and was able to get a parking spot directly in front of the door. The store was practically empty, I found all that I was looking for in the store and didn't need to wait in line at the check out. Completely unremarkable things. Utterly boring. And then it was time for the high point of my day.

Around 5:00pm I needed to walk to the post box to mail some DVDs. If I could mail them before the post box was emptied at 6:00pm then I'd likely get new DVDs delivered on Saturday. No matter that it was again raining outside. That wouldn't be a problem at all! Why it was my fate to walk three blocks to the post box becuase I had once again left my umbrella in the car.

It was steadily pouring rain as I fetched my umbrella out of the car and began to walk down the street. And Mother Nature, somehow knowing that I'd need some resistence exercise, sent strong gusts of wind that insured that I'd need to hold the umbrella with both hands. That tricky wind threatened to tear the umbrella from my hands a time or two and once it flipped the umbrella inside out but I laughed delightedly at the howling wind and shouted strong words to it to express exactly how I felt about it's playfulness.

Once I had deposited the DVDs in the post box I turned towards home. When crossing to the next block I had to wait for a walk signal and when a car speeded through the intersection and splashed water against my legs I shouted the same words of excitement to the driver that I had complimented the wind with.

I passed by the state opera house and city library and crossed over to the block where my apartment bulding is located. The wind and rain, obviously trying to thrill me beyond measure, was picking up as I started down the last 150 meters to my flat and as I rounded my building a particularly playful gust caught my umbrella, nearly dragging me to the ground in the process, and then proceeded to not just turn the umbrella inside out but tear the rod away from where it attached to the cloth and bent half of the umbrella ribs in half. Broken umbrella! Gusty winds! Puking rain! Oh world, envy me!

My rapture didn't end there. My hairdresser, likely knowing that I'd be drown late this afternoon, had gooed up my hair good and proper by using on it a glob of mousse the size of a baseball and after stying it, sprayed my hair with enough hairspray to create another hole in the ozone layer. Once I'd returned home from my happiness filled trip to the post box and my hair had dried to the texture of cement I could finally attempt to drag a comb through it to break apart the glued together strands and further delight my already overly stimulated scalp.

Now tell me about the best part of your day.

Labels: ,


Blogger Significant Snail said...

The best part of my day involved getting ripped off paying a bill. It was due on the 10th, with a 10 day grace period. I forgot about it until today (10th day)and when I called they told me the 10th day is when the late fee accrues. I say that's a 9 day grace period. They say not. Then they went on to say that I really only have 8 days because they need 2 days to process the payment.
Basically, I'm out 25.00.
I'm just thrilled!!!!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I think we deserve treats for putting up with this day!

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you provided some entertainment for your fans- I was laughing myself silly (and feeling sorry for you, of course) because I know you and know that your cursing and mood were stuff movies are made of. AND I could picture you perfectly.

You, doll, are a hoot- even when you are staring Murphy's Law in the eye.


1:58 AM  
Anonymous selcom60 said...

lol -- You win! I can't compete. I would bore you to tears with the details of my day. And after the day you've had, I'd hate to be held responsible for depressing you.

4:04 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I wrote a poem about mine. Not quite as clearly (and hilariously) described as your prose here, but a poem nonetheless.

6:00 AM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

Well, I cannot compete with that, especially because it was gorgeous weather here yesterday. I listen in the morning to the Weather channel and hear about FRIGID temperatures throughout the nation and some areas experiencing EARLY SNOWFALL... and I giggle with glee because it's sunny and in the mid-70s here.

Now, before you grump at me, know that in exchange for clear, cool winter days mild enough to wear short-sleeves out in, we endure a nearly year-round summer that is, for the most part, hotter than the lowest depths of the pit of hell.

At any rate... the worst thing that happened to me yesterday was attending a meeting no one bothered to tell me was cancelled. That only took 15 minutes out of my day, though. The meeting was for a recreational activity and I did not interrupt anything fun or important in order to attend. So... it really wasn't a big deal. I was just cheesed that apparently I don't rate enough notice to even tell me when meetings are cancelled.

4:06 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I have a tear in my eye for you. I do.

11:13 PM  
Blogger sari said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home