http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: First Day of Many

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First Day of Many

Yesterday was one of those days you dread - the first of the season, in fact. Those days when it's too warm and too muggy and you're praying for a thunderstorm to come along and wash everything clean. We had storms predicted for our area and I was anxious for one to conjure itself up and give us some relief.

I'd just cleaned a winter's worth of grime from the plastic chairs that sit on my balcony - a necessity since I was wearing white slacks. I took the current book I'm reading, When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson, outside with me to sit for a spell.

Outside the air was thick with humidity despite the strong breeze that was blowing. My hair was pinned up at the back of my head. Loose tendrils of hair snaked around my neck, sweat slicked and sticking to my skin. I was barefoot and I propped up my feet on another chair.

I'd brought a cocktail with me. Not much of one - just a glass crammed with ice and two fingers of Martini Bianco and then filled to the top with Sprite Zero. A bit sweet but I told myself the lemony flavor would be refreshing and therefore displace some of the sweetness. The glass stood sweating on a flower cart and occasionally I'd have to fan away a bee before taking a drink. Tipsy bees.

Below me on the street I could hear the fountains gushing and the occasional sounds of splashing and laughing from little ones as they walked by and were unable to resist dipping their hands in. I had on sunglasses but they weren't very necessary. The sun would blaze and then duck behind thick, gray clouds and back out again. The breeze pushed the clouds farther and farther to the east but as of yet wouldn't build up to be a proper raincloud.

So I sat. And I read. I'd squint when the sun would catch the corner of my eye and I'd be happy when a strong breeze would cool the sweat on my neck. And I waited for the thunderstorm that never came.

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger christina said...

The waiting is awful, isn't it? They keep predicting something that never happens and meanwhile my head feels like it's about to explode.

Hope your weather is better tomorrow!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Vintage Christine said...

Today in good ole southern Mississipi it was 93 degrees with about the same degree of humidity. And so what if it rains--it just gets muggier and doesn't cool anything down one bit. Yuck.

12:58 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I guess Germany would be absolutely perfect if it had "dry heat." It really does make a difference in the summer months. Oh, how I don't miss humidity.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home