http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Don't Promise What You Can't Deliver Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, November 05, 2010

Friday Shuffle - Don't Promise What You Can't Deliver Edition

Once in a while I have to remind myself yet again that there's a reason why I don't knit things as gifts for others. Let me correct that. I knit virtually everything as a gift for another - I just don't knit them as a specific gift for a specific event or holiday. That's because I'm almost always doomed to either not finishing it on time or picking a project that's so irksome to knit that I'll give up in the middle of it.

B's aunt - the one that I switch from being very grateful for to her being the one I'd like to strangle - is one hell of a hint dropper. The other week when she was here visiting she gave me a wink wink, nudge nudge that she's not only like a pair of hand knit socks but she'd like a cowl. Or snood. Or wimple. Or smoke ring. Whatever you prefer to call it. One of those tube-like scarves you wear around your neck and then can pull up over your head like a hood.

Socks are easy to dole out. I tend to have a supply of hand knit socks at the ready. A cowl is different. I didn't let on like me knitting a cowl for her would be possible but after she left and after I kicked around the idea a little I thought that I'd have enough time to knit for her a simple lace cowl for Christmas. She's a pain in the ass to find a gift for anyway so this project would save me all sort of frustrating and fruitless shopping trips.

I found a simple pattern I like. I ordered the yarn - very nice, high end yarn. Even ordered new circular needles because A. I didn't have circular needles short enough for the project and B. I never know where in the hell my circular needles get off to anyway.

I've started twice now to knit this cowl and twice now I've ripped it out. It's not a difficult pattern to knit but it's one that can be easily screwed up by failing to do one increase or one decrease. And goodness knows I despise fixing an error in lace knitting. I despise it even more when I've got 132 stitches in a round to hunt through to find the error.

Finding another pattern to knit - one that's not a lace pattern - seems to be a good alternative but it's got to be one that's going to be able to use this yarn with these needles. I could go with other yarn but these needles will be a must since I really don't have any circular needles that aren't too long to accommodate a cowl that's about 22 inches in diameter. So far I'm not having any luck so the other alternative - make 22 stitch markers, stop whimpering and just knit the lace - seems more likely.

On to other things.

It's likely passe and cheesy to do an iPod shuffle on Fridays but my friend, Jane, likes it. And if I can't give Aunt Annoying her cowl for Christmas the least I can do is give Jane her Friday Shuffles. Plus y'all need to meet my new iPod, Bastian. Let's go.

  1. She's A Beauty - The Tubes
  2. Fallin' & Flyin' - Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell
  3. Affection - The Lost Boys
  4. I Drive All Night - Roy Orbison
  5. The Belgian Tune - Blackbeard's Tea Party
  6. Queen Bitch - David Bowie
  7. Mrs. Vandebilt - Paul McCartney & Wings
  8. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding - Die Toten Hosen
  9. Town Without Pity - Gene Pitney
  10. Selfmachine - I Blame Coco

Labels: ,

2Comments:

Blogger kbryan said...

Yea! She's back, we missed you.

I'd hate for you to feel like your blog was a job - just do it when you feel like it.

Please post some photos of what you've been knitting - I always liked seeing what you were working on.

Hope you and B are well!

Kay

P.S. - I still wear and love my pink "cancer" socks. Thank you.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'll post some pictures when I get finished with some projects, Kay. So far I've got too many unfinished pairs of socks!

Glad you still love your breast cancer socks! :)

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home