http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Lifesize and Orange Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, July 03, 2009

Friday Shuffle - Lifesize and Orange Edition

I'm sure I've mentioned a couple seventy-jillion times that I absolutely dig Abraham Lincoln. While he was flawed and did some things during his life and during his presidency that could and did raise eyebrows, he was a master politician and accomplished the feat of preserving the union. We think the United States is polarized now? At least half of us hasn't broken off and declared itself to be a sovereign nation.

And macabre as it is, Abraham Lincoln also had a...well...an interesting death. Of course I believe it was a terrible tragedy for his family and for the nation because who knows how far back his death set back the south (Welcome to Revenge! I mean, Reconstruction!) but I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing and I can look at the assassination of Lincoln on its own. It fascinates me no end and always will.

Abraham Lincoln during his life was intelligent, determined, witty, eloquent, compassionate and a brilliant politician. However there was one thing he wasn't - Lincoln was never a giant block of Wisconsin cheddar cheese. At least he wasn't until today:

Photobucket


My friend, Mary Ann, who knows of my love of all things presidential and my special fascination with Lincoln pointed me yesterday to an article in the Washington Post that said a sculpture of Lincoln made entirely of cheddar cheese would be on display in Washington on, I believe, Constitution Avenue. For just three hours because cheese in Washington in July gets pretty skanky pretty fast and this cheese would later be divided up and given away. It was then that I began to lament that I no longer lived outside of DC and could not go see the Abe-as-Commander-in-Cheese sculpture. But I happen to have amazing friends. One of my amazing friends, Lorrie, who is so thoughtful and generous and who also is fortunate enough to live in DC, took a bit of time this afternoon to go see this (literally) cheesy sculpture and get me a few photos. Tell me that's not a great friend.

One time of year that I get homesick is when the 4th of July rolls around. The 4th is one of my favorite holidays. I dig all those parades and picnics and I really love the fireworks. I love my country. I may live abroad but I will never forget that I am an American and I am grateful for all that my country has provided me. Even presidents in cheddar.

On to the shuffle.
  1. Reflections - Diana Ross & The Supremes
  2. To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High) - Ryan Adams
  3. Bright Young Thing - Albert Hammond, Jr.
  4. Creep - Radiohead
  5. Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
  6. Two Halves - My Morning Jacket
  7. Angel - Adam Ant
  8. All Over You - Live
  9. Daughter - Loudon Wainwright III
  10. Swoon - Maria Doyle Kennedy

Labels:

4Comments:

Blogger Sirmelja said...

Mmmm, Cheez-Its!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My goodness, that is so bizarre!

It was lovely meeting you yesterday. Hope to make it to the East sometime soon!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Mary Ann said...

Hurray for Lorrie!! Hurray for Abe!!! Hurray for Cheese!! Hurray for Kim!!!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Dee said...

How appropriate to see Lincoln in cheese. His wife was crackers!!!

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home