http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Global funkatude

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Global funkatude

I don't know whether it's the change in the weather around here or just the fact that with the exception of being gagged by the smell of smoke in the hallways for nearly a week now, there's not a lot going on around here. I don't know if I should be so dramatic as to say that I'm in a funk but what else can you call it? Funk, rut, dullsville, malaise - call it what you will, it's here and I'm not the only one with it. Kara's got it. Poppy's got it. Beege has got it and she's honoring the funk which sounds like a pretty good idea if you as me. Celebrate the funk. Acknowledge its presence. Give in to the wants of the funk. Maybe if you stuff it full of reading fun fiction, knitting, eating comfort foods and shopping for little do-dads you don't need but what are fun to have it'll move along.

Revisiting the basement fire thing - the storage areas for my apartment and my MIL's have had a going over by us. My MIL's had very little that was worth saving and mine had more but what we saved has to be cleaned and aired out to get rid of the stench of smoke. And I did have some fire damage - more was ruined to fire and smoke than to water damage. We're making a listing this weekend but off the top of our heads the damage will be in the 1200€ range. Today the junk picker-upper people came to haul off all that was set out by the tenants and they tore down the wooden storage area structures that suffered the worst damage. And then the police came to seal the basement up again. No one seemed to know why this was done but it sounds to me as though the police are suspicious of something. However everyone and his dog has been tromping all ove the place and stuff has been hauled away so who knows what the police have in mind for finding now.

And I can't wait for them to make permanent repairs to the water system. It seems what they did on Monday was just a temporary fix. They'll have to tear out a lot of plumbing in the basement and replace it and I understand that'll mean we'll be without water possibly for a few days. Great. I don't have a bathtub in which I can hold a bunch of water to use for toilet flushing.

Of course I wouldn't actually do this but how decadent would it feel to use Evian to flush?

Funk is rearing its head. It wants an ice cream sandwich. I'm obeying the funk.

7Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I'm also in a funk -- don't know why but there it is.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

See? It really is global. Maybe it's the change of season. Maybe it's the sad news as of late. Maybe we all just want an excuse to nap and read and think about Snickers bars.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh that's definitely heaven for me -- naps reading and Snickers bars (that's my favorite candy bar.)!

Maybe everything that's been going on is too much for us to handle without a shut down, so we're all in a funk.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Marybeth said...

Yep...Funk is here with me, too...but it seems she likes me better since I gave her Mickey D's at lunch today. She loves Mickey D's. We're going shopping this weekend. I had to link Beege today because she is just freaking brilliant!

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woke up in a funk today, and I don't know why. I'm at work, but just sort of going through the motions, you know? I hope that it runs out of steam soon- I don't look good in funk.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I will agree, Poppy. And that's why I'm craving all things familiar and comforting. When you've seen such misery being suffered by anyone you tend to lose your lightheartedness for a while and seek out what soothes you.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I was in a funk last week. It sucks

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home