http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Strike one

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Strike one

It was mighty disappointing today to go see the apartment in the high rise building and find out that B can't even get into the apartment. His wheelchair simply won't fit through any of the doors.

I understand that it's not a handicap adapted apartment but a door that's 74 cm wide is ridiculous. You're going to want that converted to inches, aren't you? Roughly 29 inches. I'd have a hell of a time getting my furniture through the door, nevermind the wheelchair.

And you know what? The outer walls on the balconies are too high as well. B would lay in bed and see...concrete.

So screw that idea. I have appointment tomorrow to see another apartment that I'm hoping will have wider doors. Late this afternoon my MIL ran into an acquaintence who lives in a nearby building that we believe was designed the same as the one I'm seeing tomorrow and she said her doors are 90 cm wide. Jeez! You want that one converted too, don't you?

Little less than 35 1/2 inches.

3Comments:

Blogger Kirsti said...

*sigh*. This seems to be one of the areas where America really does lead the rest of the world ... thanks mostly to the lack of old buildings there! I'll continue to cross my fingers that an accessible place gets found soon.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't even think my HIPS could fit in those doors.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Well that's so disappointing. It's hard being paralyzed in a world that isn't.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home