http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Stabbed and sleepy

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Stabbed and sleepy

Despite being roughly 5000 miles away from me, the Barefooted One knows instantly if I'm too quiet. Maybe it was her former job as a law enforcement officer that's done it to her but if I'm too quiet for too long, she gets into search mode and tracks me down.

I'm here, darlin'. Put the bloodhounds back into their pens.

The primary reason for my short absence was the lack of anything to say. I didn't even have any knitting stories to tell so you know I was at rock bottom (although I have to now say that I started to knit Clapotis and I must be doing something wrong because I can't get past the third row...I'm somehow not adding enough stitches with the third row so I'm stuck with a fourth row I can't finish).

The secondary reason is that I've been awfully tired the last few days. The weekend had me busy with chores and whatnot and then for the past couple of nights I simply haven't had enough sleep. I had to be at the doctor on Monday as soon as she opened up at 8am so I could have my blood drawn again. This time she wanted a bunch so I sat patiently while first the nurse and then the doctor searched for a viable vein. Jimmy Hoffa wasn't searched for with as much care as these two took to find a vein that wasn't too thin. Finally the doctor gave it the "Oh screw it. Let's just go for broke!" treatment, stuck in the needle and we all waited with baited breath for the blood to flow.

You know it hurts like a bitch for someone to wiggle that needle around as they try to strike oil in your arm.

The doctor got one vial before the vein collapsed but she declared it would be enough. Later on the nurse called and said my white cell count was much better so any panic has been postponed and she said the doctor would discuss the rest of the results with me when she comes by my apartment on Thursday. In this case I believe "discuss" can be loosely translated to "bitches me out about not taking my medication like I should and for eating too much crap.". It sucks to have a decidedly anti-nacho physician.

Today saw me get up early again for my semi-annual gyn appointment. All things - the parts I still have anyway - are where they belong and my gyn seems honestly disappointed that I don't complain of being wracked with hot flashes. She doesn't get that I could have hot flashes that are comparable to having my head on fire while lounging in a sauna and I still wouldn't take hormone replacement therapy. I tried it twice, spent weeks so depressed that I could barely move and merely looking in my direction could cause me to sob for hours and I would rather not revisit that experience, thanks. If I want to cry, I'll start trying to figure out what in the hell I'm doing wrong with knitting Clapotis.

Had a lovely nap this afternoon. All seems to be right with the world again. Someone should talk me back from the nachos ledge though.

9Comments:

Blogger BarefootCajun said...

Inappropriate food choices - that's exactly why I'm hiding from my diabetic nurse right now. Please don't tell her where to find me.

I'm finally doing something with that synthetic mohair. I'm doing a simple scarf using US 15 needles in a stockinette stitch. The stitches are big and loose so the scarf has a loose feel to it. I like it. It's a belated birthday gift for Kay Kay so I hope she likes it too.

Glad to know that all is well, sweetie.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I am so not the one to talk anyone out of nachos. If someone said to me nachos or death... I'd say I'll die happy.

Glad you're feeling better. Appropriate sleep does do wonders!

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen on the nacho situation titankt lol

Dixie sorry you're running low on steam at the moment *hug* i know you'll be right as rain soon enough though.

8:13 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh boy. Who knew that nachos weren't part of a balanced diet?

Sorry about the not-finding-the-vein business. No fun at all. But the blood work being better is a Good Thing. Probably just some small infection that's on the wane now.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Double and triple UGHs on finding good veins for bloodwork. I automatically tell everyone now not to even try my right arm. But the way you described it definitely brought a wince to my face. I hate it for you!

Donica is going into major deprivation mode these days, recently finding out she has Type 2 Diabetes. So not being able to have nachos definitely SUCKS. However, the upside is that she's lost almost 20 pounds since February. Hmmm. Guess there's something to be said for diet after all (tho' I'm not sure getting diabetes is the way to find it).

Hang in there, my fair lady. Pamper yourself when you need to!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nachos? do you eat nachos with bacon?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch - I'm glad my veins are good. I haven't had blood work like that in a long while. I'm lucky, but I've had very close friends who can't get a vein to work after 2 to 3 hours of trying himself... yeah forget nurses....

Nachos - that sounds so good, haven't had them in a while.

4:58 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Feel better, my friend.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I have small veins and am petrified of needles. I was shocked hearing that your doctor is coming to your house with test results. Mine still hasn't informed me that I am pregnant with my two year old. They never remember to call, my husband works at the hospital and sneaks peeks into the file for me, otherwise I would never know anything.

Today is the day that the winter dulldrums will finally bid you Adéu and spring bliss will take its place.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home