http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: In which details are kept to a minimum

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, June 26, 2006

In which details are kept to a minimum

I'd been to my doctor last Friday for a blood test and while I was there I told the doctor the cyst I have on the back of my neck was inflamed again. That's the thing with cysts - you either do invasive surgery to dig the whole thing out or you deal with it getting inflamed once in a while and hopefully it dissolving itself.

She gave it a look and then gave me an antibiotic salve to put on it and to come back if it got worse.

It got much worse over the weekend...tripling in size and being very painful. I was downing 800mg tablets of ibuprofen in order to get some relief (and sleep) and since I was afraid that it would turn into the creature it turned into eighteen months ago I called my doctor early this morning to let her know things were not improving.

Unlike the last time when the cyst became a deep seated abscess that required outpatient surgery and daily follow-up visits, this time it's more of a...well...gigantic pimple. The doctor said "We'll need to lance it but not today. I want it to get riper."

Ugh. That may be the foulest sentence I've ever heard. The mental image it brings just isn't good.

She prescribed an oral antibiotic to take twice a day, advised me to keep the site clean and to keep using the antibiotic salve and to come back first thing in the morning for the drain event.

I walked back home and as it was still only 9am I layed down to rest. When I awoke a couple hours later, gigantic pimple had decided on its own that it was ripe enough.

This is where we shall skip the disgusting details except to say that I'm happy that due to my having a quadriplegic in the house I have lots and lots of sterile gauze pads and antiseptic. And that when you're trying to help drain a gigantic pimple on the back of your neck, it would be helpful to have something bigger to aid you in seeing what you're doing than the 2 1/2 inch diameter mirror in your face powder compact.

I know. You're grossed out. I'm grossed out and I can't get away from it. I suppose that more grossness for me today means less for the doctor to deal with tomorrow.

9Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no, not enough detail. How big we talking about here? Yes, I know, I should've gone into dermatology. I've been told that several times. But wow, that sounds intense.

11:20 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Mmm...pus. Nope,nothing is too gross for me. I'm sure glad that thing is resolving itself, though. Hopefully the pain was just the pressure of it "ripening" and all will be well soon.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

What a pain. I hope that this explosion and tomorrow's dr visit will be the end of it.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

I suppose the phrase "better out than in" is somewhat apt here. Hope that the doctor can fully clean it out tomorrow!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Although I certainly don't wish you pain, I'm glad to know someone else besides me has to deal with these disgusting things. I blame it on my father who was also prone to them.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that's pretty gross but not unbearably so. I'm sorry to hear it's bothering you so much, that's really the worst part, imagining how bad it must hurt and itch. Uff!

But the back of your neck is NOT the worst place to have a cyst. I had one once... it was in a much more disgusting place than the back of my neck. I was intensely relieved that it resolved on it's own, though, because I was a teenager at the time and it was in a place where I was extremely unwilling to let anyone get all up close and personal.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't gross. I'm somehow facinated and like Elle surely should have taken on studies in dermatology. lol

Best of luck with the lancing!! :D

6:54 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

*hugs*

Hope it goes away quickly!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you a while back about a boil I had under my arm -hurt like hell. Got myself to a doctor and she said about the same thing- wait for it to get bigger. My reply was that I couldn't put my arm to my side, and that I already felt like someone from Medival times. Anyway, the thing popped and I swear a marshmallow popped out. That to date is the grossest thing my body has ever done.

Hope no one was eating a s'more.

Mollie

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home