http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Belinda and BlogHer

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Belinda and BlogHer

Even though I'm not very good at mingling with strangers, I think that were it possible, I'd dig going to BlogHer. Just to perhaps meet those whose writing is inspiring and entertaining and maybe perhaps get my own ego fed. Just a little bit.

So in the interest of getting to know other women bloggers, whether they're attending the conference or not, BlogMe was born. It's like cocktail party chat, blog style.

The lovely Belinda...this Belinda, not this Belinda...I have to say which because they are equally lovely...has thoughtfully tagged me. Want to read about how this all works? Click on this thing right here.

BlogMe


I'm picking some questions at random from the link. Nothing like controling your own interview, eh?

When did you start blogging and why?

I started my blog in August, 2004. I wish I could say that my initial motivation was to release my inner writer but my first motivation was just to see what blogging was all about. I hadn't even read more than a half dozen other blogs before I started my own and I wasn't even sure if it would be more than a passing whim for me. I had no idea how to get readers and at that point I wasn't even sure if I wanted readers. A few months passed and somehow I actually got a few readers and that's when I started to take blogging more seriously - at least in terms of making sure my blog is updated on a regular basis. I had been very hit-or-miss about it all until my dear friend, Lisa, told me that she would get disappointed when she clicked on my blog and I hadn't updated it yet. If I blabber on too much, blame her.

How do you use blogging to build friendships?

I live in Germany and I'm well away from my family and friends in America. And since I'm the one who cares for my quadriplegic husband, my ability to get out and socialize is limited. The online world has stepped in to fill that void in my social life. About six months ago I was incorporated into a community of ex-patriates and we're able to share our lives and experiences of the ex-pat life with each other and friendships start from there. When you read someone's blog on a near-daily basis and you comment on each other's blogs, friendships begin to spring up. It's the natural progression. I'm also a knitter and by joining knitting webrings and knit-alongs I've been able to get to know knitters from around the world. All you need is a sliver of common ground.

Who do you read every day, rain or shine?

Well with the exception of Mr. Fabulous, I don't know anyone who updates every single day, rain or shine. I do read everyone on my Blogroll when they have something new and I go back and check their comments again. Sometimes comments are as good as the blog entry itself. I will give special props though to PoppyMom. While Lisa may have been the one who urged me to write in my blog more, Poppy's the one who showed me how it's done. She's a great writer and her voice inspired me to find my own voice.

How do you feel about meeting bloggers in real life? Are you nervous?

I'm nervous meeting anyone new. Even so, meeting bloggers isn't really a big deal to me. I've been in online communities of one stripe or another for going on twelve years now and I've been meeting people I've initially met online for about as long. I moved to Europe and married one of them. As long as I've gotten to know the person at least a little bit online or through their blogs then meeting them in person is usually very easy. It's a giant room full of strangers that don't know me from Adam's off ox that freaks me out a little.

What is your favorite thing that you wrote? What got a strong reaction from readers?

This entry about my first months in college was probably the most difficult thing for me to write. I felt very exposed writing that and judging by their reactions, I think my readers felt that as well. Writing about the day I moved to Germany probably made the most readers cry. This entry about me pulling a plastic coat hanger over my head while at work and this entry about me getting stuck in my bathtub were the most fun for me to write. I think they got the most laughs.

Are you and your blogging persona the same person?

I'd say so. Those who know me in real life would call me on it if they weren't.

If you had a super power, what would it be?

I guess I'd want to fly or be all I Dream of Jeannie and be able to get from here to there by blinking my eyes. Right now being able to be in Germany and in Mississippi from one minute to the next would make my life so much better.

We'll do optional tagging. While I'd love to see Poppy and Kara and Ashley and Christina and Belinda answer some of these questions, there's no pressure to do it. Do it if you wish and even if I don't tag you by name, should you want to do it, I'd love to read it.

4Comments:

Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Awesome! A guided tour through your archives! And another Belinda! And YESSSS: Teleportation. There is no other way to go! ;-)

2:21 AM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

I too use my blog to stay in touch with family far away. My sister-in-law is in France and by reading each other's blogs we get a chance to experience the everyday things that you tend to forget while on the phone.

Keep on knitting! - we are in a truly amazing and supportive community.

4:47 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Ahhh! The pressure! Ha ha, just kidding. Might try to do this if I can get online during our vacation. Funnily enough, I DON'T use my blog to keep in touch with my family. None of them even know I have one. I'm debating whether to break it to them or not. :-)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I haven't told my family I have one -- I know they could find it but I just prefer not to alert them to its existence,

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home