http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: If I Were An Animal

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

If I Were An Animal

...it's quite possible that I'd be a sloth.

For two weeks now I've been planning on taking a trip. Just an outing by myself. The plan was to get on a train to Quedlinburg and just look around and take photos and shop a little and have lunch and shop some more before getting the train back home. I was supposed to go last Thursday but I begged off because it wasn't the right weather, so I said. I rescheduled for tomorrow and I'm begging off again. Not because of the weather. I can't use that lame excuse again plus it's going to be a nice day tomorrow. I'm postponing my trip because of my MIL. That's who I'm blaming it on anyway.

When I have to be away from home for more than a couple hours my MIL comes to stay with B. She does a fine job substituting for me and I don't worry about his care. It should be the same this time around except for one thing - my apartment isn't absolutely clean. I mean it's not filthy but it's a little on the cluttered side. Some stuff needs to be gone though an put into its proper place and I haven't done it yet. I have cardboard boxes that need to be cut up and taken down to be thrown away in the recycling bin. I haven't yet finished washing my windows. My kitchen could use a good wash down and the worse thing of all, my yarn stash is all over the place. I promised myself last week after putting off my trip that I would spend this week getting things the way they should be. Instead I spent the week sitting around and knitting with the ocassional nap thrown in tied up with other things and the week was over before I had the chance to get things put right.

What does this have to do with my MIL? The answer should be "nothing" but that's not the case. I'm hesitating to leave my MIL here unattended because she my do the actual de-cluttering and organizing that I should be doing and the idea of her doing it makes me crazy. I should be doing this myself. I shouldn't be letting someone come in and do what I need to be taking care of personally.

I'm angry with myself. I'm angry that I'm letting opportunities pass me by because I won't let someone come in and do things for me and I've been too wrapped up in my own malaise to get it done myself. I've spent days thinking that nothing will happen today that didn't happen yesterday and won't happen tomorrow and therefore I can keep putting off my responsibilities until I've ground myself into the worst sort of rut.

Contentment can be a trap. Get too contented and you'll find you're letting things get away from you because you can't bothered to wrench yourself away from all the bliss.

7Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

UGH. Why does this hit so close to home! Well, there are some things (like dusting) that have to be done almost immediately again so why bother! But the clutter stuff does get to me after awhile, so I'm working on that these days. It's possible my future SIL will see our house for the first time in the next couple of weeks and I'd like to leave a decent impression. Other than that, when you collect all the stuff we do on our trips, and if you don't find a place for it immediately, there can be piles of stuff everywhere.

And no one else in the world would know what to do with it. So, I guess we need to buckle down and just do it.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously kim every time I read your posts I look around my living room and go, wow, I'm living that right now.

There is nowhere in this flat that is yarn-free at the moment. I seriously have to rethink my stashing. I know I say this all the time, but I mean it this time lol.

You just reminded me that I have to do my dishes. :o\

8:35 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE sloths. Nothing wrong with wanting to be one. I love their little sleepy faces. Did you know they only come down from their tree like twice a week to go to the bathroom. The rest of that time is spent in blissful sleep or brief periods of semi-awakeness. What a life!

9:32 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Amen that that, sister! Today was the firt day since we've been back that I have actually gotten down to business instead of sitting around staring at my feet. There is SO much to be done around here and it's holding all of us back from the things we really want to do, but do we do it? Noooooo.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A second amen coming at ya from NRW, and welcome to my world. :) This was my secret resolution for our new place, that I don't get caught up in my bad habits when we begin new there. In that respect I wanna be more German. Viva die Ordnung! (hope I got that right!)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I have to admit that I am a sloth as well. It seems like the only time I get the fire in my belly and really get it all done is when I am really mad at someone. The madder I am the cleaner my house, and the happier I am the messier my house. It drives my husband batty, but then his complaining makes me mad. Our system.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! And it's also good to know that messiness is a sign of happiness!

I like sloths too. And I like koalas even better. They seem just about as lazy as sloths and they smell like cough drops!

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home