http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Lotto Fever Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Lotto Fever Edition

Tomorrow in Germany the lotto drawing will be for the biggest jackpot in its history - at least 35 million euro (about 44.5 million US dollars). Everywhere lotto tickets are sold there are long lines of people willing to hitch their dreams to a line of numbers on a piece of paper.

I am no different.

Normally we never play the lottery. My MIL has been playing her same numbers for over twenty years now and so we've sort of let her take care of it because really when she wins, B and I win. But this grand jackpot seems to call us to make a greater effort and so this morning I dropped by a kiosk and played.

I got home, showed B the ticket and said "Know what this is?"

"Thirty-five million euro?"

"Damn right."

As we ate breakfast we talked about what we'd do with our winnings. We're notoriously stingy conservative with our money and naturally we decided that the vast amount of our winnings would be put into investments so that we could live comfortably on the interest alone. We then talked about where else we'd spend the money. A new home was an immediate choice and we had a discussion about whether we'd have a custom built home or we'd just have a big ass apartment. Both have their advantages, the biggest one for the house being that we could have German Shepherds. B loves German Shepherds. We'd get a new car for me and a big van that B can drive his wheelchair straight into so I could drive us around whenever the mood strikes.

B and I talked about how we'd be able to travel with him with so much more ease. With all that money it's no problem to fly first class and hire someone to come with us to help get him from Point A to Point B. Australia, America, around Europe - it would suddenly be within reach.

We then talked about to whom we'd give money. Our moms are a given - we'd give his mom a lump sum for her to spend as she pleases and afterwards we'd simply buy her whatever she wants. She's a simple woman with simple wants and while she'd likely live in a fancier home, she's not the type to go out and buy jewelry or a new car or round-the-world vacations. We'd put my mother in the finest care facility we can find once she's no longer able to live on her own and of course we'd spoil her with all the fancy things she may want. We'd give money to B's cousins in Australia and their four kids. We'd give money to my brothers and sister and their kids. We'd buy a car for some friends and others we'd help get out of debt so they can get a fresh start in life. Others we may treat to a new kitchen or a downpayment on a home.

In short if you've ever extended a helping hand to us, your willingness to make our lives easier now would be repaid in a way to make your life easier.

We talked about charities to which we'd make generous contributions - things ranging from help for others with spinal cord injuries to animal rescue organizations to charities working towards cure and help for those with Alzheimer's disease and cancer.

And we talked about the relief it would bring us to never have to worry about how we'll take care of B once we're both older. We'll be alright in any case but to never have to worry about having someone to take care of B should I be unable to care for him would be a blessing.

Of course the chances of us winning this grand jackpot are very small. We know that the odds aren't with us but talking about what we'd do if we should win is fun. It's nice to dream and it's even more fun to dream big. And you never know. Our chances to win are a good as the next guy's and maybe the instinct I used to pick the numbers was spot on.

Time to shuffle. And Bixente, my darling iPod, we'll keep you even after we're millionaires. You always give me your riches.
  1. Zieh Die Schue Aus - Roger Cicero (Swooooooon!)
  2. A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
  3. She's A Rebel - Green Day
  4. King Of New Orleans - Better Than Ezra
  5. Metal Guru - Marc Bolan and T. Rex
  6. When Will I Be Loved - Everly Brothers (I'm gussing after I'm 35 million euros richer)
  7. There Goes My Heart - The Mavericks
  8. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
  9. Five O'Clock World - The Vogues
  10. Where You Lead - Carole King
Have a weekend filled with all the riches in life.

6Comments:

Blogger sari said...

You know, I can't think of any two people more deserving. I hope you win!!

And I want to help name the German Shephards, ok?? :-)

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you win, too!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Good luck, if I'm not already too late and the draw's taken place.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Well I'd like to say I'm Germany's newest millionaire but all I can say is I'm one of millions with a worthless piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it. The best I did was two right numbers on one of the four picks I made.

A little disappointing but if you start taking things like winning the lottery seriously, you don't need to be playing the lottery. My life will continue on just as happily as before.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site. We are Chimney sweeps in SC. So, we are southerners that drive german cars(VW Rabbit Diesel) have German Shepherd pups, and are chimney sweeps.lol Or, as you know them over there..Schornsteinfegers. Good luck on the lotto. We play and pray to hit it here. :-)

Pamela and Joe..oh yea the girls Mia and Bella.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry that you did not win, because I think that you all would put that money to better use than most. I sometimes wish we would win the lottery, but then you have to buy a ticket to actually win!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home