http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Rest and Rejuvinate Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Rest and Rejuvinate Edition

As I am someone who is normally a rather quiet person in the throes of a calm, contented life, having the opportunity to have lots of girlfriend time all at once has been both enormous fun and enormously exhausting.

Yesterday saw Laura and I taking a train to Wernigerode. It's a small town at the base of the Harz mountains and is so incredibly adorable that you can hardly bear it. There's a castle way up on a high hill overlooking the town and the town itself looks exactly like how you imagine towns in fairy tales look. See?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


After lunch we went into shop after shop in search of things that Laura might like to bring home from Germany as a souvenir of her trip. She became fascinated by the witches that one sees all over the town due to Wernigerode's close approximation to where Walpurgis Night is held and got a few things depicting them.

And since our finely tuned fiber radar was in high gear we found the only yarn shop tucked in the artisans quarter. We pawed through all the lovely sock yarn for sale, Laura asked questions with me translating and by the time we left with more yarn (don't say it!) the shop owner was completely charmed by us and was fascinated to see Laura knitting two socks at the same time on two circular needles. The shop owner didn't even know such a thing was possible so I may need to go back sometime and give her a lesson in two socks on two circs. Any excuse to go back there will do.

Ice cream was consumed, knitting in public was done and chatting was virtually non-stop. We were having such a great time that we ended up taking a train home an hour later than we had planned. By the time we limped out of the train station towards Laura's hotel, we were dragging and she still had a birthday party to attend that evening. I spent the rest of the evening virtually unable to move, legs twitching with exhaustion.

I'd like to say that we bounced back today and kept the girly-girl festivities going but Laura had one too many Mojitos last night at the party. I don't even have a good too-many-Mojitos excuse - I was just dead tired. I spent the day instead doing laundry and trying my own socks on circular needles project...my very first. Once you cast on, make the join and knit the first row it all makes sense.

Tomorrow Laura and her husband are going to go out with B and me for the afternoon. More fun. More knitting in public. Lots of fish eye from the husbands if we even look at a yarn store.

Bixente the iPod is quite rested and ready to shuffle:
  1. Don't Smoke In Bed - Nina Simone
  2. The Guns of Brixton - The Clash
  3. Angel of Harlem - U2
  4. Racing In The Street - Bruce Springsteen
  5. What's The Matter Here? - 10,000 Maniacs
  6. Suffragette City - David Bowie
  7. Rumble In Brighton - Stray Cats
  8. Sail Away - David Gray
  9. Amanda - Don Williams
  10. Rock And Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger
Have a great weekend. Rest lots. Play even more.

4Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Ah yes, Dixie. We BOTH need to rest up for Monday! You can knit all you want, of course, and I'll watch you. That might actually be quite educational! Christina and I went to the Hbf together yesterday to buy my train ticket to Magdeburg. I'll arrive at the 9:56 time, as I had mentioned. As I said, get some rest :)

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, circular needles... I have some of those. I'm only a wanna-be knitter. I know how to knit scarves (I only know one stitch and how to knit a straight line!). I thought the circular needles would be some kind of miracle device, making knitting so much easier... I tried them once and put them away. I don't even know where they are now, come to think of it.

9:47 PM  
Blogger J said...

What a lovely place. I definitely have to make it to the eastern part of the country some day soon.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bixente is obviously trying to get me into bed, and he's succeeding.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home