http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Potentially Shuffle-able

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Potentially Shuffle-able

Groovy Kind Of Love - The Mindbenders
Bend Me, Shape Me - The American Breed
Happy Together - The Turtles


I believe that many of us have a love for something that's somewhat uncool, somewhat embarrassing, a little bit geeky but we love it anyway. A passion for Star Trek. Stuffed animal collections. A love for Danielle Steele novels. Cartoons. Brat Pack movies.

With me it's cheesy pop music of the 60s and 70s - and folks, it can't get cheesy enough for my tastes.

Downtown - Petula Clark
The Rain, The Park & Other Things - The Cowsills
Kicks - Paul Revere and The Raiders


As with many of my quirks, I blame my sister for getting me started. She's seven years older than me and by the time my musical world was ready to expand beyond Jesus Loves Me and whatever was being offered on Captain Kangaroo, she was in early puberty and plunged well into AM radio.

I'm Telling You Now - Freddie & The Dreamers
Five O'Clock World - The Vogues
Dizzy - Tommy Rowe


Some of my early memories surround the bedroom my sister and I shared and her record player. When I was very young she taught me how to put on a 45 or an LP and how to get the needle on the record without scratching it to pieces. While she was at school I was allowed to play her records as long as I didn't break them or get them disorganized. While she was in school learning algebra I was in our bedroom learning what music was immortal (The Beatles and the Stones) and what was more disposable (The Troggs and Tommy James and the Shondells) but loving it all.

Build Me Up, Buttercup - The Foundations
Easy Come, Easy Go - Bobby Sherman
Good Morning, Starshine - Oliver


When I was about eight years old and I had my own bedroom I inherited an old, white plastic tabletop radio from my sister. It was an AM only radio but back then FM hardly exsisted anyway. I remember turning it on and having to wait until the tubes inside warmed up before its scratchy, tinny speaker would give any sound and would be so anxious for it to start playing. For the rest of the day until early evening when the stations would sign off for the day I'd be tuned into the likes of WEAM and WEEL and, a few years later, WPGC in hopes that they'd be playing my current favorites.

Run, Joey, Run - David Geddes
The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
I'd Love You To Want Me - Lobo


Once I got to my teenage years my musical tastes had expanded. I loved The Who and The Allman Brothers Band and Led Zeppelin. The first album I ever bought for myself was David Bowie's Hunky Dory. Still I had an affection for cheesy pop. My friends and I would play our transistor radios and sing along and call the radio stations over and over requesting that they play the songs we loved. We bought and swapped 45s and religiously watched American Bandstand every Saturday. We thought of the cute boys we liked while listening to the very sappy song and flailed around to the up tempo ones.

Love Will Keep Us Together - The Captain & Tennille
Magnet and Steel - Walter Egan
Kiss You All Over - Exile


All of this is thirty years and more in the past and my affection for cheesy pop is as fresh as ever. Like loving junk food, it's a hard habit to break and like junk food, not all of it's completely awful. Clever turns of phrases, hook filled choruses and some excellent vocals makes cheesy pop just as enjoyable for me now as it was back then and it has the added advantage of bringing back memories - sometimes long forgotten ones if the song is one I haven't heard in many years. I still listen to Vicki Lawrence sing The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia or No Milk Today from Herman's Hermits and still love every note, every word. There's very little in the way of cheesy pop that I can't stand.

Except Terry Jacks' Seasons In The Sun. It's my cheesy pop Camembert - pop music that stinks like feet.

7Comments:

Blogger christina said...

You have very good taste in cheese, stinky or not -I love all those songs - specially Dizzy and Downtown.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't share your affinite for cheesy '70s pop, I do love '60s pop with a passion, even though I was born in 1972. I grew up listening to the music of my mom's youth, and I still love it.

You wanna really make me happy? Play me nothing but stuff by 1960s girl groups. Hog heaven, I tell ya!

12:18 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Oh I am so with you on this. I had a little baby blue battery powered transistor radio I took everywhere, even slept with it under my pillow.

That's all I need to say!

Even Seasons in the Sun - agree with you and STILL hate it, one of the FEW songs I actually hate (rare, in the cheesey pop stratosphere!). :-)

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say cheesy pop and I immediately think of ABBA and you did not mention them. How can that be, Super Trooper?

5:59 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

70s AM pop is my happy place! At first I would listen to my grandmother's clock radio. Then one glorious day I got my supercool bright yellow circle radio that looked like giant bracelet when closed and like a big letter S when open - remember those?

"Billy Don't Be A Hero"
"S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night"
"Puppy Love"
"Heartbeat, It's A Love Beat"
"Paper Roses" (Marie Osmond's version)
"Julie, Julie, Julie...Do You Love Me?"

And of course the best of the 70s - *anything* by The Partridge Family!

Then Disco arrived and hosed everything up! :(

8:38 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I do remember that radio, Hilda. I really wanted one but I had just a plain square transistor radio.

Doesn't matter how many cheesy pop songs you think up, your brain still spits out more.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home