http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Christmas Market is Open Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Christmas Market is Open Edition

I, being a bona fide Christmas freak, naturally have my year revolve around the holiday and while if I lived in the US my personal kick-off for the season would be the day after Thanksgiving, in Germany it's when the Christmas market opens in Magdeburg. It's merely coincidence that this year it happens to be the same day. Magdeburg doesn't have the largest Christmas market - the last time I checked that honor belonged to Leipzig. It doesn't have the grandest and most famous market - that would be Nuremburg. But what Magdeburg has that these others don't is prime location - just two hundred meters from my front door.

And what better way to start my Christmas market revelry than with a visit there this evening to pick up grilled bratwurst for supper? Straight off the fire, wrapped in foil and by the time I walk home they're exactly the right temperature for eating. The Indian flute players were there - in fact they were packing up for the evening, one of their CDs playing in the background as they loaded up their van just in case they could entice one more person to buy one. I didn't take a look at much more while I was there as I didn't venture past the food vendors but there's plenty of time for that yet. And as long as B has a taste for junky Christmas market food, I'll be down there often to explore.

Bixente the iPod's calendar revolves around the Friday's shuffle. Let's go.
  1. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
  2. Femme Fatale - The Velvet Underground & Nico
  3. Death Or Glory - The Clash
  4. Adalida - George Strait
  5. Crystal Ball - Keane
  6. Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs
  7. New York Mining Desaster 1941 - The BeeGees
  8. The Look Of Love - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
  9. We'll Sing In The Sunshine - Gale Garnett
  10. Oh Atlanta - Little Feat
May your weekend be kicked off just right.

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I long for a Kristkindlmarkt!! I have never been to Germany at Christmas, but my mom so ingrained all the tradition into us, that I feel that I have. How wonderful to have it so nearby!

Carol

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the Marktplatz yesterday to check out what I'll be missing this year.
Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING that I'll get to spend Christmas with my family, but I'll miss a lot of stuff here. The Weinachtsmarkt is one of those things.

I've been to a couple in the region and without any bias I say that the one in my town is the best. Chris and I will have to forego our usual Glühwein glass souvenirs. We have 3 or 4 different sets. Ah well, there's always next year.

Enjoy your Weinachtsmarkt sweetie and eat lots of reaaaaaaally unhealthy food on my behalf! lol

much love and hugs to B and yourself!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, I love hearing your stories about the Christmas Market! It sounds so wonderful. Mmmm..the sights, the smells, the food...just like heaven.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home