http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: The Lull

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Lull

When you fly from the US to Europe you reach a part of the flight where you nearly go mad from the anticipation of finally arriving at your destination. You've had your dinner, watched a couple movies and you flip through the in-flight music stations over and over and over. You're somewhere over Iceland and there's a good three hours until you land. You're sick of reading, you're antsy from sitting still for so long, the drone of the engines has bored into your brain and you can't see a thing outside because it's still dark. You'd like to get up and maybe wash your face and pee but the guy sitting next to you is still asleep and you're just hoping he'll wake up on his own any minute now and let you out as he didn't seem to be the sort that would relish being awakened by you.

And that, my friends, is the point we've reached with NaBloPoMo. That holy-shit-is-this-ever-going-to-end-?-point where bailing looks tempting but it's too late now because you'd never survive that 35,000 foot drop. And skipping a day of posting is that plunge you can't overcome.

I'm hoping that in the coming week something - anything! - will happen to give me something about which to write. It would be like finally getting breakfast served to you two hours before landing. It's not great but it's destracting and it helps kill some time.

In a week it'll be that time when the flight attendents collect the blankets and the headphones. Damn near home free.

6Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't missed a day of Dixie yet and am still anticipating every new blog. You are totally interesting even when you don't feel so. I would love to read something about going out and walking down your street to the little local grocery. I can only imagine the smell of sausage, the lovely hard rolls, and the lines of Gummy Bears. Guten Tag.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Well you know what, Molly? Since in the old market square they're building up the Christmas market that'll open on Friday, the regular open market has been moved to run along my street and it's right in front of my apartment. I should stroll through and talk about what's there - maybe get some pictures if it's not too rainy. Not on Monday though - there's no market on Mondays.

I appreciate that great suggestion!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

I am grasping a bit too, I resorted putting up a picture of the new light fixture.

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brava! Really nicely written post, Dixie!

And I'm thinking that I should have joined that PaNaMo-or-whatever, because I somehow do end up posting almost every day...

Carol

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I love your posts. I love your writing! I look forward to reading it daily. Blog on!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. Couldn't have said it better myself. I actually was trying to talk myself out of finishing yesterday (the 21st), and something went wrong with the blog, I couldn't login and I had the perfect excuse. (whiney voice) But, I've come so far... may as well see it through. (/whiney voice)

Dixie, you're a gem. I hope you win something cool. I really do.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home