http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Third Advent Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Third Advent Edition

I hinted yesterday that I might go down to the Christmas market and bring back some photos for y'all but I got rather tied up with grocery shopping and laundry and taking a fierce, fierce nap. Five o'clock rolled around and B and I were watching a show about Christmas markets and Magdeburg's was featured in a short segment. There was a lovely view from above the Christmas market, most certainly taken from the giant ferris wheel.

"Wow. I really should have gone down there to take pictures."

"You still can. Go right now. Won't take you but an hour or so."

That was all the incentive I needed so here's Magdeburg's Christmas market in pictures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This Christmas tree isn't at the Christmas market but is instead at the end of my block.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On one side of the streetcar stop you see this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And that's the department store on the other side.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mmmmm...that's the place to get the tasty, tasty fried fish.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And this is the place if you want ham and kale and fried potatoes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like fried liver from the Liver Hut!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's more like it. Grilled bratwurst.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Give me a hot one with ketchup, ladies!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You're sure to find something for your sweet tooth here.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Rides are a big part of the market.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So are craftspeople selling their wares. This man makes wooden marionettes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Games are popular as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is Magdeburg's Rathaus (city hall). It's not easy to see but up on the balcony in the center was a brass quartet playing Christmas carols.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Every moment the market square filled with more people.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the giant Pyramide at the far end of the market. Is there an English word for this thing or does everyone do as I do and all it "That thing that whirls around from the air current made by the candles underneath"?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inspired by the show I saw this afternoon I thought I'd get on the giant ferris wheel to get an ariel photo. Hmmmm...it doesn't seem too big.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oh. Well. It's quite a bit bigger when you get up close to it.

Now I'm not exactly afraid of heights. Tall buildings don't bother me and I actually like driving over high bridges but the combination of height and riding in something that sways in the breeze wasn't a comforting thought. I got closer and watched it for a while and had a conversation with myself.

"Get on it."
"Okay...hmmmm...no."
"Wimp."
"Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week."
"Do it today. It'll be cold and rainy next week."
"Okay...wait...no."
"Look! There are old ladies and toddlers on this thing! Stop being a big baby and get on it!"

I wasn't going to let old ladies and toddlers get one over on me so I bought my ticket and jumped on. Since I was alone they put me in with a Hulk-like guy and his girlfriend. I only hoped he wasn't the type to be an ass and make the gondola spin around. I may can handle height and swaying in the breeze but I can't have spinning added into the mix.

But I did it. I braved height and swaying and potential spinning to bring you this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There's a whole lot of happiness down there.

Bixente the iPod's going to risk all to bring you the third week of Christmas music. Shuffle for Santa!
  1. Merry Christmas, Baby - Bruce Springsteen
  2. The Holly & the Ivy - Natalie Cole
  3. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
  4. Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord - Boney M.
  5. Good King Wenceslas - Blackmore's Night
  6. Zu Bethlehem Geboren - Roy Black
  7. Bizarre Christmas Incident - Ben Folds
  8. Pretty Paper - Roy Orbison
  9. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
  10. The Christmas Song - Julie Andrews
Have a great weekend. Do something daring.

10Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

What fun! Thanks for the photos, especially the ones from the farris wheel. Such a brave woman!

9:16 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I love seeing your Christmas pictures every year! I have to say, I'm adding a wish to my "wish list of places to go" that someday I'll be able to be there at Christmas-time and see it with you, that would be fun. (Come on, lotto!)

I love the pyramide, we had a little one like that when I was little and I always loved it so much, the delicate chimings it made when it turned.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are excellent pictures, Dix. Thanks for posting.

I'm also very impressed that your camera does so well in the dark. Mine does not.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katy, that's probably the best nighttime photos I've ever made. I really hate using a flash and just make do with whatever light is available. I usually have my camera set on manual and with the manual setting can select the light source - sunny, cloudy, florescent light, incandescent light, etc. but there's nothing for night. There's also an auto setting under the lighting selection so I picked that and then set the speed to 400 and this time it worked quite well.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was lovely to see - thank you!! It'd great, because now I know that my market is very authentic - your photos could have been taken in Manchester! Also (bizarrely!) when we went to the market last week we went on the big ferris wheel in Manchester - it's not actually in the market itself, but we could see the market from the top. It's clearly the done thing!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I had been impressed by my weihnachtsmarkt (apologies for dodgy spelling) but it was pretty small and feeble compared to yours. Big in spirit though, that's the main thing.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Thanks for the Xmas market pics at night, so lovely. I hope you are having a good and relaxing weekend.

5:20 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Wow, you sure showed those old ladies and toddlers. I haven't been on a ferris wheel for quite a while and it would probably take some persuading.

Great pics!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

As I told Christina on her site, these pics are your Christmas gift to me, since I ended up not being able to see the markets this year. When I go back to Germany in January, they'll all be gone. So glad B persuaded you to go NOW. Good job, Dixie!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! This Christmas market looks spectacular!!! I wish I could've gone... :(

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home