http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Birthday Girl Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Birthday Girl Edition

I turned forty-five years old today. Saying that doesn't make me feel old as much as it makes me feel as if I should finally stop watching Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones.

But I won't.

It's been a nice birthday. The phone has rung all day with friends and family calling to wish me a happy birthday. I received red tulips from my husband and yellow daffodils from my MIL. A beautiful orchid plant from friends, which I give a 30% chance of survival. I got as gifts lots of CDs and DVDs and books and I may have to knock off knitting a little to be able to enjoy them more. My MIL baked both an apple cake and a chocolate cream torte and friends came over to enjoy cake and coffee and tea with us. A whole bottle of champagne was consumed. I probably shouldn't admit that it was consumed by me but at least it was done over the span of a couple hours.

I have no complaints over my day. I've been fairly lucky that over my lifetime most of my birthdays were good ones. I liked my birthday when I was in high school. It was fun to come in and find my locker decorated with streamers and balloons and to have everyone wish me a happy birthday. When I turned fifteen years old my friends gave me an unforgettable surprise birthday party. When I turned eighteen my friends took me out to dinner and paid for my first legal drunk. When I turned thirty-two all my friends at work spoiled me with an amazing birthday and I was allowed to goof off all day.

I have had a few crummy birthdays. A few have been spoiled by bad weather. My father's funeral was on my thirtieth birthday. And one year my ex-husband completely forgot my birthday and became annoyed and asked me exactly how long I was going to pout over it. It wasn't too long after that that I decided that life was too short to be married to someone who couldn't be bothered to look at a freaking calendar on the refrigerator and see what day my birthday is.

Two others are having birthdays today. The first is Bixente the iPod. I received him for my birthday last year and he's been faithfully shuffling for me each Friday since. The second is the subject of today's shuffle, a woman I admire and feel very privileged to share a birthday with, Dolly Parton. I've always adored Dolly. I remember seeing her on TV each week on the Porter Wagoner Show when I was wee bitty little and thinking she was gorgeous and wanted to look like her. I always felt a sort of bond with her and when I found out that she and I shared a birthday it didn't surprise me in the least. My ultimate birthday wish would be to meet her in person.

Bixente, shuffle up ten from my vast Dolly collection.
  1. Shine
  2. To Daddy
  3. My Tennessee Mountain Home
  4. Dumb Blonde
  5. Wild Flowers
  6. Coat Of Many Colors
  7. The Grass Is Blue
  8. Joshua
  9. It's All Wrong, But It's All Right
  10. Love Is Like A Butterfly
Now I need to find some dance music. Work off all the birthday cake I've eaten.

Labels:

15Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Happy Birthday!

3:54 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Happy Birthday Darling!!!

(I also love your shuffle of the week- Dolly has one of the world's truly amazing voices!)

Just for today-- go ahead-- BE DOLLY!

Kim

7:04 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Happy Birthday. Good shuffle. I first heard To Daddy sung by Emmylou Harris -- it always made me cry.

9:03 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I'm late, I knew there was a reason I have my old calendar still, I haven't transferred anything to the new one yet (I'm a dope!).

I'm so glad your day was a good one!

PS No "Here You Come Again?"

4:40 PM  
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Buon Compleanno!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

Happy belated birthday!! Sorry I couldn't visit yesterday , but I wax away from my 'puter most of the day.... Hope you had a great day=:)

10:20 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Happy Birthday Dixie! Coat of Many Colors - great song!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I'm a day late.

Happy Belated Birthday Lovely Lady! I hope your day was all you wished and more. :)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Dixie! Sounds like you had a very enjoyable birthday! Best wishes from me and Michael.

12:27 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Happy Birthday, my dear! I'm late too, so sorry. I really should write these things down.

Dolly is a cool person to share a birthday with. I always kind of had a soft spot for her too.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

YAY DIXIE!

It's not that I'm sending you late birthday wishes...I'm just helping to extend the celebration!

I'm glad it was a happy day!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Extending a weekend of birthday wishes is right, Ms. Dixie. Congratulations on another milestone! I always see the 5's and the 0's as extra special. :)

I had no idea Dolly shared your day! She is one of the all-time great women in history, as was acknowledged so well this past December in the Lincoln Center Honors. She is dearly loved by many all over the world, and rightly so. I will never forget hearing her read the audio version of her autobiography. If you haven't heard it, please put it on your list of things to do some day soon.

So glad you have been remembered so well by many people this year!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Days late, bah, but much joy to you and why not extend birthday celebrations by a few days? Sounds like you had a lovely day.

8:19 AM  
Blogger jen said...

happy belated, Dixie.

I just recently introduced dolly to Twinkle Toes. Right now she's singing Jolene.

4:30 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

Happy Birthday Dixie, albeit a bit belated. I'm glad you had a good day!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home