http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Dull Lights, Clean Feet

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Dull Lights, Clean Feet

Finally, finally, finally I have Poppy's Mismatched Hippy Dippy Tye-Die socks finished. And they fit my feet so I'm going to assume that they'll fit Poppy's feet.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


See how they don't exactly match? The color repeats in the sock on the right are shorter than the one on the left.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I had to try on the socks, not so much because I wanted to check the fit but because I couldn't get them to lay flat for me to photograph them. There's something about a short row heel - or at least the way I knit this short row heel - that keeps the socks from laying...I dunno...sock-like when they're laying in profile. To that end if I wanted to get a decent photo I had to put them on.

I washed my feet first. I can't promise that I didn't have a bit of dog hair on them but I'll wash and block the socks before sending them to Poppy anyway.

Hmmm...I just noticed that the lighting in these photos isn't so great. Damn cloudy days. You try to use a flash and the colors get washed out. You try to use available light and it comes out too dark. Take my word that the colors are much more vibrant than they appear in the photos. They're so vibrant that these socks practically hum. The yarn is Fortissima Cotton Colori, 75% cotton, 25% nylon and knit cuff down in plain stockinette with the circular needle method using 2mm needles.

I'm about a half inch away from starting the heel on my next pair of socks. These are for Paula.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The crummy lighting isn't really doing justice to this yarn. What appears to be plain gray is really more of a silvery color. I had told Paula that the colors remind me of hydrangeas so I've dubbed them Paula's Hydrangea socks. If a colorway doesn't have a name, I'll give it one. Usually a dorky one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This yarn is Lana Grossa Cotton Fondo, 45% cotton, 42% wool, 13% Polyamide. Lovely yarn to knit with as it has a smooth feel without feeling limp or floppy. One can definitely feel the difference in the give this yarn has as opposed to the 75% cotton yarn on Poppy's socks.

Now pat yourself on the back and have a drink. You read through an entire sock knitting post without having your head explode. I'm proud of you!

Labels:

6Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dixie, my socks are beautiful. The colors are even more vibrant than I'd imagined. Hydrangea is the perfect explanation.

I already feel my Dixie socks on my feet and they are perfect.

(((hugs)))

Poppy's socks are fun! She's going to rock the town in those!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

I love both those socks!

A friend of mine made a pair of socks for Linnea...she wears them all.the.freaking.time. I have to pry them off her feet to wash them.

I think your sock recipients will feel similarly about theirs. :)

3:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Gorgeous! That does it -- I'm gonna ask our new admin assistant to teach me to knit!

Carol

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally need to do a WIP post lol or "Belinda has knitting ADD".

I keep starting stuff and can't seem to finish.

Love both the socks btw. I think it's interesting that each sock isn't identical.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are simply supreme. Makes me want to pick up the needles...

Lovely blog.

Kate. Lovetolead.

3:00 PM  
Blogger TitanKT said...

Any socks that are so vibrant they hum are good socks. Excellent work, Dix.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home