http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Rock Star Love Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Rock Star Love Edition

I'm not sure how we got onto the following topic, but that's a common thing when I'm chatting with Darling Mollie. We'll start out talking about her job or what I did that day and it'll morph into a discussion about the latest episode of Lost that I've seen and then we'll talk about some wacky persons she saw at the grocery store. We'll start at Point A and find ourselves at Point M via Point R before we know it.

Anyway, it was one of these roaming conversations that got us started on talking about what rock stars we thought were hot when we were teenagers. A discussion that left us both wistful and feeling older than we probably should feel. Do you remember your teenage rock star crushes? Care to confess them to me?

Now my first rock star love was John Lennon. Before I even started Kindergarten I wanted to marry him and thought it would be entirely possible to do that. Of course back then I thought all the Beatles lived together in one house in London.

When I was around 11 years old all of my friends were crazy over Donny Osmond or David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman. And while I thought they were good looking I never plastered their images all over my bedroom. They were okay, but not all that great. About the same time I got a pen pal in England. She lived in Gloucester and was crazy about Sweet. She would send me their records (you just couldn't get them in the States back then) and sent me her old copies of teen fan magazines and that's when I fell in love with their lead singer, Brian Connolly. I was a little in love with the drummer, Mick Tucker, but maybe I just wished I played drums like he could. But Brian had what I loved - he was skinny and blond and I loved his voice...and I still do. My pen pal loved the guitarist, Andy Scott, and she and I would write long letters about how we'd marry them and live next door to each other. Unfortunately Brian drank until he ruined his health and he died ten years ago and Andy Scott is fat now so it's probably best that we didn't live out that dream.

By then I'd discovered that I could have more than one rock star love and when I was 13 years old and attending my first rock concert I fell for my next one. My first concert was Led Zeppelin in 1975 and Robert Plant was my new love. I didn't know a lot about sex back then but he looked like living sex right there before me. And he had my requirements - skinny, blond, and a fantastic voice. I love that Robert Plant took my concert virginity.

Peter Frampton was next. I still had my English pen pal and she was a fan of his going back to his Humble Pie days. I had Frampton albums before Frampton Comes Alive came out and by the time it did, I adored him. I still remember my life sized Peter Frampton poster and I saw him in concert a couple times but after the Rolling Stone article about him by Cameron Crowe that called him the "Pretty Power Rocker", my lust began to fade a little. He was becoming appealing to the wrong crowd and being skinny, blond and with a voice I loved couldn't completely overcome this. And that dreadful Sgt. Pepper movie didn't help any either.

I've been listening to The Who for nearly as long as I've been listening to The Beatles but for some reason it took me until I was in my late teens before I developed an enormous crush on Roger Daltrey. Why couldn't I see it before? He's skinny! He's blond! And he has what I consider to be the greatest voice in rock. I still think he's fantastic. When I saw The Who in 1979 and ended up losing my hearing for three days afterwards I couldn't have been happier. Hell, I still think Roger Daltrey hot.

So after all these rock stars I loved when I was a teenager in the 70s, is it any wonder I married a guy who spent the 70s looking like this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Skinny. Not blond, but he had blondish red hair back then. Can't sing worth toffee though.

Time to shuffle. Not sure if any of my former loves will shuffle up but Bixente the iPod is holding songs from them all.
  1. Apple Of My Eye - Dolores O'Riordan
  2. Shadow Of The Moon - Blackmore's Night
  3. Everyday I Write The Book - Elvis Costello
  4. Ariel - Dean Friedman
  5. Jungle Love - Steve Miller Band
  6. Ready To Run - Dixie Chicks
  7. When I'm Up - Great Big Sea
  8. Veronica - Elvis Costello
  9. Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire
  10. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies
None of my boyfriends showed up but two from the fabulous, if not especially attractive, Elvis Costello.

Have a great weekend.

Labels: ,

11Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

For me it was David Cassidy, followed a few years later by Shaun Cassidy. I had 486 pictures of Shaun Cassidy plastered on my bedroom walls. I'd never admit this if I blogged under my real name lol.

12:32 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I always seemed to like the strange looking guys.

I don't know why.

I love the Elvis! Have a great weekend.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Great post, and I love me some Woodstock era Roger Daltry!

4:27 AM  
Blogger zoe xx said...

I am a little more 80s than you, so mine are Sting, Paul Young, Simon Le Bon, Roland Orzabol, Morten Harket. Oh the years of mooning around your bedroom listening to your crush crooning on your record player!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

your first concert was led zep?? that's impressive in my book!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Dolores O'Riordan gets recommended to me a lot. I'll have to take a listen. My first concert was The Allman Brothers -- I'm trying to remember my rock crush and I can't.

9:31 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I went for the run-of-the mill rockers - David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Woody and/or Eric (where they ugly or what??) from the Bay City Rollers. And Parker Stevenson, although I don't think he ever sang a note.

Oh how I miss my Tiger Beat magazine!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, I had it bad for Shaun Cassidy. I had a 45 of Da Do Run Run and played it endlessly.

Later... I want to say I probably had a crush on the pretty guitarist from Duran Duran, who is still gorgeous, btw, but I definitely do NOT have a crush on him any more.

As we entered the 80s and my musical tastes turned toward metal, I loved the androgynous look and badly wanted Vince Neal (yuck).

Pretty quickly, though, I realized that ALL rock stars are inherently icky through their association with WAY too many questionable groupies and I stopped having crushes on rock stars.

I must confess, however, that I do still have a slight weakness for guys with long hair.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely adored Peter Frampton from the time I was 11 years old and even into the 80's when it definitely was not cool to like him. He's a great guitarist now, but back then, who knew or cared? He was HOT!! I had more pictures of him on my walls (and that life-sized one on my ceiling) than I can count! Ah, memories!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Oh, I was absolutely a David Cassidy girl first and foremost, and to be honest a little piece of my heart - the part that's still 7 years old - still belongs to him!

Now, as Dixie said, one of the wonderful thing about teen star crushes is you can have more than one and it's completely OK. So aside from my abject adoration and devotion to David, I also liked Bobby Sherman.

That was pretty much it - once I was like 10 years old my rock star crushes stopped. That's when I started concentrating on real-life accessible boys. ;)

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never had any rock star crushes when I was young. Had one when I was older, though. Always was a late bloomer. These days I harbor a secret lust for Peter Gabriel. The man's voice, creativity, penchant for the political and human rights light me up and burn me down.

Of course he's probably gay. Every man I ever have a crush on is. But if so, I just don't wanna know. It would totally spoil the mood. :)

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home