http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: It Could be the Weekend. Just Depends on What Point You Started It.

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It Could be the Weekend. Just Depends on What Point You Started It.

The lovely Jessica tagged me last week for a meme and I said to her "Check back here on the weekend. I'll do it then.". And I had every intention of doing it except on Saturday I got caught up in watching Dancing with the Stars and on Sunday I was entirely too drunk exhausted from being all afternoon at the city festival and Monday was a holiday too and therefore technically counted towards the weekend but I got caught up in reading and didn't spend much time online. So I'm doing it today. It's only Wednesday. That makes me only two days late getting it done. Believe me, in my world getting things done two days after I said I'd do them is an accomplishment. Ask anyone who's ever waited on me to mail stuff to them.

This is one of those "Seven Random Things" memes and I think I'll shake it up a little and make it seven random things about....let's see...about me and sleep. If you want to read seven random things about me in general, click on the links in my sidebar. You'll find two hundred of them there.

1. While I may live in the land of giant head pillows (regular German pillows are 80cm x 80cm - 2.5 cm are in 1 inch so you if you want to figure out how big my pillow is in inches, be my mathematical guest 'cause you know I ain't gonna do it for you) I only sleep on a very small portion of it. I don't really care to have the pillow touching my face - my ear may touch and a very small portion of my cheek and jaw but my eyes, nose, mouth and any other face-y parts need to be free. Now I suppose I could get along with a very tiny pillow but tiny pillows don't tend to be puffy pillows and I like thick and puffy pillows.

2. Standard German beds are also different from what one finds in America in that one doesn't have the standard fitted sheet, top sheet, blanket, bedspread and/or comforter arrangement. We have a fitted sheet and a quilted comforter covered with a duvet cover, often made of cotton, and it serves as our top sheet and blanket and bedspread all in one. Makes for fast bed making! Anyway, since nothing that's laying on top of one is tucked into the sides of the mattress it allows me to indulge in having my feet uncovered - and I love to have my feet uncovered as I sleep. It's got to be bitterly cold for me to sleep with my feet covered.

3. I love my mattress. It's the best mattress I've had in all my 45 years of life. It's perfect. Firm without being like a rock. Cushy without being mushy. I'm also fanatical about keeping it flipped over and turned head to foot every month.

4. I don't need absolute quiet or absolute darkness to sleep. I actually like to have the light from the street lamps coming through the windows and the sound of a fan running puts me right out.

5. If I take a nap on my bed (as opposed to napping on the sofa), I have to nap on top of the bed. I cannot get in bed, under the covers, with street clothes on. I get a little wigged out at the idea of being under the covers in jeans and a blouse. And I'll see you in hell before I get in bed under the covers with socks on.

6. I went to a camp for the weekend with my church's youth group when I was a teenager. It was October and rather cold at night and we were in unheated cabins with sleeping bags. I'd borrowed a sleeping bag from my backpacking older brother and thought I was all set for a cozy night's sleep because it was a down sleeping bag rated to something ridiculous like -40°F. Unfortunately I didn't know it was a mummy bag - you know where the bag tapers down until your feet are practically at a point - and I ended up freezing my ass off all night because I couldn't bear having my feet strangled together like that and had to sleep with the bag unzipped.

7. I never slept with stuffed animals as a child but I did and still do sleep with a small pillow (too flat for my head pillow requirements, however!). I don't generally hold it as I sleep or even as I'm falling asleep - I just have it next to my head. But not touching my face. Lord, don't let it touch my face.

I won't tag anyone but if you love memes, need a little content boost or just want to tell us random things about yourself, feel free to steal it. Or do as I did and tell us seven random things about you and something specific. You and your hobby. You and driving. You and desserts. You and college. Break bad! Improvise!

Labels: ,

8Comments:

Blogger The Ferryman said...

The Land of Giant Head Pillows, eh?

Do Germans have larger heads than the rest of us?

2:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are so funny. I, too, have a phobia about getting into bed with regular clothes on-- they have to be recently-laundered PJs and only after a bath or shower, my husband, too. No yuckyness living with us all night! LOL :) ---- Interesting fact about the pillows. And I love how you focused this on sleep....haha! Sleep! If only I could get some once in awhile!

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The giant head pillows description put me in mind of Peter Gabriel singing "Big Time." The part where he says, "...with a snow white pillow for my big, fat head." He he, that bit always tickled me.

My pillows aren't 80 cm x 80 cm, but they are king size pillows and very deep. I have no face-needs-to-be-free requirements, it's perfectly fine with me for half my face to be smushed down into the pillow. What I can't stand is to sleep lying too flat. I already have apnea, if I slept flat I'd probably asphyxiate.

I am TOTALLY with you on the feet out of the covers thing and NO SOCKS. Yuck. I remember I used to sleep with socks on when I was a teenager, but the very idea now gives me the heebie jeebies.

'Course, the problem around here with the feet out of the covers is that in the summer when a mosquito or two or ten thousand get in, they go right for my feet and ankles and well... that's not pretty. Not in any way.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Hi Dixie,

I shamelessly copied you and did my 7 Random Things about Sleep as well. Go check it out...:)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Great list. My husband likes his feet uncovered during the night, so I do not tuck in the sheet on his side of the bed. I do however tuck in my side, it is the only way to keep him from taking all the sheets. He also has to have a fan blowing on his face or cannot sleep. Me, as long as I am not stressed out about something, I can sleep anywhere, any way, anytime.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

ok, I am totally going to steal this meme. I don't know if I'll do it about sleep cuz I'm not sure there are 7 things to tell about my sleep habits. We shall see. Check it out...in a couple of days. :)
THANKS!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

You know I picked sleep to focus on for this meme because everyone seems to have quirky-ish sleep habits and I love to hear about anyone's quirky-ish habits.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Twango said...

Another feet outta the sheets/fan blowing gal checking in.

I think I'm lifting your meme too. Of course, I'm not Pippa, but it is all about Meme(albeit in my mind). :)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home