http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Point Me to a Brick Wall, Please

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Point Me to a Brick Wall, Please

I'd like to beat my head on it for a while. Just for six or seven hours. Maybe ten.

I was knitting the second in a pair of socks I'm making for a charity drive. It's a pattern that I know very well but I'm sick to death of knitting. I've knit this same pattern for three other pairs of socks and I've simply had enough of it.

I got all the way down to the final 3 /4 inch of the foot of the sock and then I could start the toe decreases. I probably didn't have more than 90 more minutes of knitting - certainly not more than 120 minutes. I was looking so forward to finishing this pair of socks so I could get on with two other projects I have on needles and then I realized that I'd knit part of a pattern round wrong. I've done this plenty of times - all I needed to do was unknit one needle's worth of stitches and I could continue on as normal. And it went well until I got to the double decrease in the pattern and I dropped a stitch. Open the gates and let all hell break loose! I tried to pick up the dropped stitch. Four other stitches came off the needles and ran for the border. I broke out into a sweat and tried desperately to catch things and set them right but within five minutes it looked like a monkey had a go at it.

I guess I can forget that career as a neurosurgeon.

Labels: ,

7Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

OH NO. I have been furiously quilting today. I have been putting it off for months scared to death. While I am not a professional, it is going reasonably well so far. Hope some of my luck rubs off on you.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I am not a crafty folk==I would be throwing yarn out into the Indian River near my house!! No patience! My hats off to you- or, should I say, my socks?? hee hee

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh girl, I can't imagine. I don't think I could do it. But, you are very VERY talented at knitting, but I'm sure it gets discouraging sometimes.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Did you throw it out the window yet? I did once, it was a knitting project too.
(Of course I went out and retrieved it!)

2:33 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Not sure what all this means, but I'm sorry! Sounds frustrating!

carol

5:37 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I think you need to have a laugh at someone else at this point so I'll tell you my weekend horror story with knitting.

So there I was doing my usual Saturday cleaning up and my current project (a beautiful sweater I'm knitting for Christian) is in the basket next to my chair.

I'm vacuming and the project falls out of the basket so I go to pick it up, not realising that I'm standing on a corner of it. I pull the needles out of the project and as I'm gasping and freaking out, I lean more forward and accidentally SUCK the yarn into the vacum cleaner. In my panic I don't turn off the vacum but merely try yanking on the yarn. Before I know it there went 20, 25, 30 rows lol

*sigh*

<3 I just know you fixed it though Kim!

7:11 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I'm really sorry, but this made me laugh so hard because EVERYTHING I've ever attempted to knit has looked like a monkey had a go with it right from the very beginning. But I feel your pain, I really do - so close to your goal and then disaster struck. Be strong!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home