http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Sweet Anticipation

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweet Anticipation

I was expecting him to arrive around 12:30 this afternoon. In anticipation of that I made sure that I had my morning chores and errands finished so I'd be ready and waiting for him. This is not a man that I'd want to leave waiting.

I heard him drive up exactly when I expected him. As I was in the kitchen already I took a quick peek out the window and I'll admit that I shivered a bit with excitement. But I also knew he can occasionally be slow with coming to me.

I'd been making coffee when he drove up so I continued with that. There was no chance at all of him wanting a cup but I made it anyway. As the coffee began to brew I ducked into the bathroom to brush my hair and freshen my lipstick. I knew they were probably wasted efforts but I wanted to do something - anything - to occupy the seconds until he would ring my doorbell.

The coffee finished brewing and I set the cups and cream on the table in the living room. Where could he be? I'd been waiting all morning for him. No...it was worse than that. I'd been waiting all the night before as well. I went to sleep with the lovely thought of him standing at my threshold, his hands extended to me. He really was my last thought before I went to sleep and my first thought when I awoke this morning.

And then I heard an engine start outside. I rushed to the window, not wanting to believe it was true. Not wanting to accept that he had forsaken me.

But it was true. And as I saw him drive down the street, my heart sank.

The package delivery man was gone. He didn't deliver my French butter dish today.

Labels:

9Comments:

Blogger TitanKT said...

"Oh ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a' COMIN' down the street, I wish, I wish, I knew what it could beeeeeEEEE!"

4:31 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

That looks like a wonderful purchase. Do you know how much I hate spreading rock-hard butter on bread, only to destroy the surface of the bread? And we are not margarine eaters; we only eat butter. Think I'll have to order one of those!

Hope delivery guy comes to you tomorrow.

7:57 AM  
Blogger JEANNETTE said...

Sounds like a classic case of karma to me. You know, the kind of karma that means it only rains on the day you DON'T have your umbrella with you. Tomorrow: sleep in, stay dressed in your most unflattering pj's, make sure you have "bed head" hair...and the doorbell will be sure to ring. :-)

10:07 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh no! . I know the feeling - our parcel guy usually comes between 11 and 11:30 and it's SO disappointing when he parks in another place and there's nothing for us that day.

Well, here's hoping the butter dish arrives before the weekend.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

I'm waiting on 3 packages too so I know exactly what you mean!

How's things with you Ms.Kim? <3

11:09 AM  
Blogger The Big Finn said...

I don't remember my mom or dad ever putting the butter in the fridge when I was growing up. Sometimes it would be really, REALLY soft. On the counter it sat...and sat...and sat.

I guess that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

oh no. Once my guy delivered a package across the street instead of to me, it was almost more than I could bear.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Its an awful feeling when that delievery man shows up, but passes you right by. I'm sorry!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katy - You just crack me up no end!

UmmFarouq - I think a French butter dish would be just the ticket for you but in the summer if the room temp is above about 25°C you'll need to still refrigerate it or keep ice cubes in the water. Else the butter gets too soft and may slide out.

Jeannette - It's usually the DHL delivery person who catches me in my jammies or my hair in curlers. But currently it's a lady who has my route so I don't care if she sees me in curlers. And she's probably seen my robe more than my husband has!

Christina - I hope it comes by the weekend too!

Belinda - Hope your packages arrive soon. I'm doing fine here. I'm dying to know how YOU'RE doing!

TBF - I leave my butter out in the winter because my kitchen doesn't have a heater and is always very cool but in the summer it gets rancid so fast and I am terrified of giving B food poisoning - quadriplegics don't vomit too well. So in the summer it goes in the fridge during the day and I'm supposed to get it out of the fridge before I go to bed - which I invariably forget to do. Hopefully this will solve the problem!

Marsha - I didn't even see the delivery guy drive up today which was almost worse. And my butter dish still isn't here!

Tiffany - The worst is when it's Christmastime and I'm expecting boxes from America and he passes me by.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home