http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Just Happy

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Just Happy

Someone who is very generous and very kind and very, very sweet has sent me a great big ol' box of yarn. Not plain Jane stuff. Really gorgeous, luxurious and interesting yarns. Yarns for socks, scarves, wraps and blankets. I am so overwhelmed by her generosity that I can hardly describe how special she's made me feel and how grateful that I am.

And I cannot leave this box of yarn alone. It's getting ridiculous. I keep looking at it and petting it and reading online about the qualities of each kind she sent me. I look up projects made with this yarn and think about what I want to knit with it.

What's worst of all is that I want to knit it all. Right now. All at the same time. I can't decide on what yarn to grab first and cast on. I can't make up my mind which project I want to tackle now and which ones can wait a month or two.

But what I think about most is how lovely people are to me. How sweet and thoughtful they are. The lady who sent me this wonderful gift wished to make me happy but I'm not sure if she knows how deeply her kindness has touched me. But it did. And I just had to brag on her (and, I'll admit, show off about the fabulous additions to my yarn stash) and once again affirm that there is a lot more right with people than there is wrong. There is a lot more generosity than selfishness. There is much more joy taken in the happiness of others than joy taken at the misfortune others experience. The world may make us feel more cynical but I'm convinced that in the end we're better to one another than we give ourselves credit for and that's most reassuring.

Labels: , ,

5Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

That's a nice post and it makes me feel better that maybe living my life through rose-colored glasses isn't as unrealistic as people tell me.

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It IS nice to remember that there are nice people out there, especially at this time with all the mud being slung in the process of electing a new US president. Some of it is quite sickening

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dix! Just curious, when did you take up knitting? Your love for it is so infectious that I'm getting inspired to give it a go. Any suggestions for a beginner?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Katya - Never lose your rose-colored glasses.

Renate - It's comforting to know that most folks truly are good.

Molly - I learned as a child how to knit but I got into it big time about 3 1/2 years ago. Go to KnittingHelp.com and there are free videos there that can teach you how to knit. I highly recommend them. And you can email me at dixiepch@gmail.com anytime to ask me any questions.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very loved, Dix.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home